Re: tc-list CPART GNT text Project

  • Vincent Broman
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 1999
    • Fivefree@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 1999
        In a message dated 3/3/99 2:51:13 PM Mountain Standard Time,
        broman@... writes:

        > I wish I did, it sounds interesting.
        > As far as I can gather, CPART was/is an interdisciplinary group
        > at BYU and the ABMC that worked on radioisotope dating of DSS MSS
        > and on a searchable CD edition of the DSS texts and fragments.
        > Someone there was working on multispectral imaging of carbonized MSS
        > from Petra to recover otherwise invisible text. I imagine
        > that they are trying to expand and branch out with a new Greek project.

        Speaking of this, I was in Salt Lake City several weeks ago on business and
        heard a presentation on BYU public radio about this project. What little I
        heard had to do with DNA testing of the different animal skins which were (if
        memory serves me correctly) were primarily bovine. They were examined to see
        if the different skins were of the same animal or from the same herd (which
        would have a similar DNA sequence as they would be related). At least one hide
        was of an animal similar to the local species of antelope. A rather striking
        find was that the hides were contaminated with human DNA. The testing team
        thought they had contaminated the specimens. This was not the case. What they
        concluded was that the DNA of the author of the scrolls was present on them
        from having such intimate contact with them. I find it incredulous that the
        genetic character of the scribe who wrote this and that scroll is available to
        us in great detail.

        Regards,

        Jack Jackson