tc-list Cursive scripts in editions

  • Mike Bossingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 1999
      Hi,

      I have recently been making a study of the
      early critical editions.

      It struck me as quite remarkable that editions
      as late as Mill in 1707 still used a very cursive
      script and ligatures.

      These must have been very difficult to typeset
      and certainly much harder that using a regular
      font - which the Complutasian appears to have.

      Apart from conservatism, does any one know why
      they persisted in using this script?

      Regards

      Mike Bossingham
      MikeBossingham@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 1999
        On 3/3/99, Mike Bossingham wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I have recently been making a study of the
        >early critical editions.
        >
        >It struck me as quite remarkable that editions
        >as late as Mill in 1707 still used a very cursive
        >script and ligatures.
        >
        >These must have been very difficult to typeset
        >and certainly much harder that using a regular
        >font - which the Complutasian appears to have.
        >
        >Apart from conservatism, does any one know why
        >they persisted in using this script?

        Conservatism. You can still occasionally find German books
        printed in blackletter, too. In fact, I have a copy of
        Blass & Debrunner in blackletter. (Great gift that was:
        A grammar of a language I didn't know in another language
        I didn't know and an unreadable script. :-)

        The Complutensian used a style of Greek never used
        before or since. It *was* easier to set, and it's
        one of the reasons (I suspect) the Complutensian
        didn't have as many errors as Erasmus's first
        edition. But it was a dead end.

        It's said that the difficulties of typesetting Greek
        script is one of the reasons why it took so long to
        print a Greek NT. But the very difficulty might
        have something to do with why it took so long to
        evolve something easier: People weren't doing enough
        Greek printing to think up alternatives.

        (That's just a guess, be it noted.)

      • Prof. Ron Minton
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 1999
          On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Robert B. Waltz wrote:...
          > It's said that the difficulties of typesetting Greek
          > script is one of the reasons why it took so long to
          > print a Greek NT. But the very difficulty might
          > have something to do with why it took so long to
          > evolve something easier: People weren't doing enough
          > Greek printing to think up alternatives.

          It is interesting that the Hebrew Bible was printed a generation
          before the GNT.

          Ron Minton
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 1999
            On 3/3/99, Prof. Ron Minton wrote:

            >It is interesting that the Hebrew Bible was printed a generation
            >before the GNT.

            I don't think it's surprising, really. Printing wasn't invented
            until after the fall of Byzantium (or, at least, so shortly
            before as makes no difference). So there was no particular
            reason for a Greek Bible to be printed; the Orthodox no longer
            had the Byzantine Empire, and the Catholics used the Latin
            Bible (which, of course, was the first book printed).

            Whereas the Jews, since they tried to get all their people to
            read the Hebrew scriptures, had an immediate use for a printed
            text. A Greek Bible was a luxury to Catholics (and an expensive
            one, given the problems of Greek printing :-), while a Hebrew
            printed text was very important to Jews anywhere.

          • Michael Holmes
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 1999
              Re the use of cursive scripts and ligatures in early printed editions of the NT:
              Metzger (Text of the NT, pp. 96) writes,
              "The attempt was made to reproduce in print the appearance of minuscule
              Greek handwriting, with its numerous alternative forms of the same letter,
              as well as its many combinations of two or more letters (ligatures).
              Instead, therefore, of producing type for merely the twenty-four letters of
              the Greek alphabet, printers prepared about 200 different characters.
              (Subsequently these variant forms of the same letters were abandoned, until
              today there remain only the two forms of the lower-case sigma"

              Mike Holmes