tc-list CPART GNT text Project

  • WFWarren@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 1999
      I've received a bit of information from our library about a project being
      organized by CPART on the GNT text. The info says that "[t]he aim of this
      undertaking is to provide New Testament scholars with an electronic database
      which will contain not only the standard Greek New Testament text, but also
      the many variations that are found in the most important Greek NT
      manuscripts." (CPART, p. 18).

      Does anyone know more about this project and its scope, participants, backing,
      etc.?

      Thanks in advance for any info that might be forthcoming.

      Paz,

      Bill Warren
    • Vincent Broman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 1999
      • Fivefree@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 1999
          In a message dated 3/3/99 2:51:13 PM Mountain Standard Time,
          broman@... writes:

          > I wish I did, it sounds interesting.
          > As far as I can gather, CPART was/is an interdisciplinary group
          > at BYU and the ABMC that worked on radioisotope dating of DSS MSS
          > and on a searchable CD edition of the DSS texts and fragments.
          > Someone there was working on multispectral imaging of carbonized MSS
          > from Petra to recover otherwise invisible text. I imagine
          > that they are trying to expand and branch out with a new Greek project.

          Speaking of this, I was in Salt Lake City several weeks ago on business and
          heard a presentation on BYU public radio about this project. What little I
          heard had to do with DNA testing of the different animal skins which were (if
          memory serves me correctly) were primarily bovine. They were examined to see
          if the different skins were of the same animal or from the same herd (which
          would have a similar DNA sequence as they would be related). At least one hide
          was of an animal similar to the local species of antelope. A rather striking
          find was that the hides were contaminated with human DNA. The testing team
          thought they had contaminated the specimens. This was not the case. What they
          concluded was that the DNA of the author of the scrolls was present on them
          from having such intimate contact with them. I find it incredulous that the
          genetic character of the scribe who wrote this and that scroll is available to
          us in great detail.

          Regards,

          Jack Jackson