Re: Paragraph marks in Codex Vaticanus

  • Maurice Robinson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 6, 1995
      On Wed, 6 Dec 1995 Timster132@... wrote:

      > The early papyri do not have paragraph markings or divisions.
      > The editor who put them in Vaticanus may have had aural divisions in mind,
      > or not. I have no trouble believing that the editor was astute enough to be
      > aware of this. By the time they were added to the mss, there were surely
      > other reasons for marking paragraphs, such as for lectionary reading.

      I am not certain whether the original reference was to the sectional
      markings (which were added later) or to certain lines in which the
      initial letter is set off to the left to indicate a paragraph or sorts
      (which is due to the original scribe). That there was some sort of early
      paragraphing utilized in Vaticanus is certain; whether it agrees with
      later divisions would have to be verified.
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997