Re: tc-list LXX and Book of Common Prayer's Psalter

  • Kevin W. Woodruff
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 1999
      Norman:

      The Psalter of The Book of Common Prayer is indeed Miles Coverdale's
      translation and is based upon Jerome's Vulgate (which was based upon the
      Hebrew, his Gallican Psalter was based upon the LXX) , Pagnini's Latin
      version of 1528, Luther's German version, the Zurich Bible of 1531 and
      Tyndale's version (or possible in place of Tyndale), Desidedrius Erasmus's
      Latin Version.

      Documentation for this comes from The Cambridge History of the Bible: The
      West from the Reformation to the Present Day. Edited by S. L. Greenslade.
      Cambridge University Press, 1963. page 148

      At 12:43 AM 1/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >Mark Goodacre has kindly suggested the following query may not be too
      >far off subject and suggested I post it: The Psalter in the Book of
      >Common Prayer is ostensibly a revised English translation (original
      >possibly by Miles Coverdale) of a Latin translation of the Greek LXX.
      >Can someone confirm this or steer me in the right direction for
      >documentation, especially as to versions? I'd appreciate it. Many
      >thanks for the many helpful posts that have greatly edified this novice
      >Graecist.
      >
      >Off list replies at your discretion.
      >
      >EFM, Bethesda-by-the-Sea
      >Palm Beach, FL