Re: tc-list Re: Majority Opinion

  • Nelson D. Roth
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 1999
      Jim West wrote:

      > Your pastor friend is simply wrong. The majority view of those working in
      > textual criticism is that the "majority" text is not due the highest regard.
      > There are, of course, dissenters, (like our own Maurice Robinson- for whom
      > we all have the greatest respect). Still, the majority of textual critics
      > do not support the notion that the majority text is representative of the
      > earliest text.
      >
      > Jim West, ThD
      > Quartz Hill School of Theology
      >
      > jwest@...

      Thank you for such a rapid response. I really did not expect to hear from anyone
      for at least a brief period of time.
      Quartz Hill? I'm not familiar with the school. Where is it located? What
      programs of study do they offer?
      Also, have you any familiarity with the new translation the "NET Bible?" I've
      been in communication with Dr. Daniel B. Wallace, one of the translators, and
      hope to receive a copy within a week or so. It can be viewed at:
      http://www.bible.org

      Thanks in advance and blessings,

      Nelson Roth
    • Burke Gerstenschlager
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 1999
        Burke Gerstenschlager
        orpheus@...
        http://www.inetport.com/~orpheus
        "What is truth?" asked Pilate... John 18.38

        On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Nelson D. Roth wrote:

        > Also, have you any familiarity with the new translation the "NET Bible?" I've
        > been in communication with Dr. Daniel B. Wallace, one of the translators, and
        > hope to receive a copy within a week or so. It can be viewed at:
        > http://www.bible.org

        That's right! I forgot Wallace was doing that. Send him my regards. I
        haven't talked to him in a long time.

        He wrote an article on the Majority Text view. Does anyone remember where
        that is? Of course, you could always ask him directly...

        pax,
        Burke
      • Lamerson, Sam
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 1999
          The article was published in a book called STUDIES AND DOCUMENTS: THE TEXT
          OF THE NEW TESTAMENT IN CONTEMPORARY RESEARCH ed. Bart Ehrman and Michael
          Holmes. It is an excellent article for getting a handle on the majority
          text debate.

          Blessings,

          Sam Lamerson
          Knox Seminary