Re: tc-list 3,000 manuscriprs

  • George Kiraz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 1999
      >> Christian History Magazine, 465 Gunderson Dr. Carol Stream, IL 60188
      >> had an article "Discovering the Oldest New Testament" by H.G.G. Herklots
      >> in issue 43 of _Christian History_. On page 35, the caption of the
      >> picture says of the St. Catherine's monastery, "In 1975, workers
      >> discovered another 3,000 manuscripts hidden there."

      A catalogue of the Syriac fragments (not manuscripts) of that discovery has
      been catalogued:

      S. P. Brock, _Catalogue of Syriac Fragments (New Finds) in the Library of
      the Monastery of Saint Catherine, Mount Sinai_ (Athens: Mount Sinai
      Foundation, 1995). ISBN 96085739-0-4 [A large volume describing the
      fragments with photos of the fragments.]

      ----------
      George Anton Kiraz, Ph.D.
      Language Modeling Research
      Bell Laboratories