tc-list ms reference please

  • Jean Valentin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 1969
      Dear tc-ers,

      I need to know the reference of a ms in the current Gregory/Aland system.
      It is a Greek-Arabic bilingual lectionary, I supposed it is referenced in
      that system as it has Greek text. Its library quote is Jerusalem Staurou
      26. Does anybody know its references in Greek apparatuses (the reference
      preceded by a cursive letter l, as it is a lectionary)? I'm sorry to ask
      this, I know I could look in Aland's Kurzgefasste Liste, but I don't have
      it right here.

      Thank you for your help,

      Jean V.

      Jean Valentin - 34 rue du Berceau - 1000 Bruxelles - Belgique
      e-mail : jgvalentin@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 1999
        Since nobody with immediate acceo a KL2 has answered this yet, I'll
        report what the KL1 says. I hope it hasn't changed....

        On Mer, 6 Jan 9, Jean Valentin <jgvalentin@...> wrote:

        >Dear tc-ers,
        >
        >I need to know the reference of a ms in the current Gregory/Aland system.
        >It is a Greek-Arabic bilingual lectionary, I supposed it is referenced in
        >that system as it has Greek text. Its library quote is Jerusalem Staurou
        >26. Does anybody know its references in Greek apparatuses (the reference
        >preceded by a cursive letter l, as it is a lectionary)? I'm sorry to ask
        >this, I know I could look in Aland's Kurzgefasste Liste, but I don't have
        >it right here.

        The KL1 lists it as l1023. A quick glance as Maurice Robinson's list
        of changesin the KL doesn't seem to show it, so I assume that is till
        the number. For what it's worth, the KL dates it to the eleventh century.

        Hope this helps.

      • Prof. Ron Minton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 1999
          Christian History Magazine, 465 Gunderson Dr. Carol Stream, IL 60188
          had an article "Discovering the Oldest New Testament" by H.G.G. Herklots
          in issue 43 of _Christian History_. On page 35, the caption of the
          picture says of the St. Catherine's monastery, "In 1975, workers
          discovered another 3,000 manuscripts hidden there."

          I would like to find more information about both the discovery and the
          manuscripts. The magazine editor was not able to help me. Does anyone
          have information about this?

          Prof Ron Minton
          5379 North Farm Road 179
          Springfield, MO 65803
          (417) 833-9581
        • Curt Niccum
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 1999
            Approximately 1148 mss were discovered, 305 of them complete. 836 are in
            Greek containing primarily Christian literature with the others representing
            arabic, syriac, old church slavonic, armenian, latin, ethiopic, and hebrew
            (listed in their order of frequency).

            The following articles are helpful.

            Aland, Kurt, "Die neuen Sinai-Funde," Bericht der Hermann Kunst-Stiftung zue
            Foerderung der neutestamentlichen Textforschung fuer die Jahre 1977 bis
            1979, 46-58.

            Aland, Kurt, "Die Ausgaben und laufenden Arbeit des Instituts," Bericht der
            Hermann Kunst-Stiftung zue Foerderung der neutestamentlichen Textforschung
            fuer die Jahre 1979 bis 1981, 33-35.

            Aland, Barbara, "Die neuen neutestamentlichen Handschriften vom Sinai,"
            Bericht der Hermann Kunst-Stiftung zue Foerderung der neutestamentlichen
            Textforschung fuer die Jahre 1982 bis 1984, 76-89.

            A quick look at the Kurzgefasste Liste suggests that uncials 0278-0296,
            minuscules 2797-2801, and lectionaries 2285-2304 belong to that find.

            Curt Niccum

          • rlmullen@netpath.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 1999
              In the early 1980's James H. Charlesworth did a series of articles and
              publications on these that may give you some idea of their contents. --Rod
              Mullen

              At 12:16 PM 1/6/99 -0600, you wrote:
              >Christian History Magazine, 465 Gunderson Dr. Carol Stream, IL 60188
              >had an article "Discovering the Oldest New Testament" by H.G.G. Herklots
              >in issue 43 of _Christian History_. On page 35, the caption of the
              >picture says of the St. Catherine's monastery, "In 1975, workers
              >discovered another 3,000 manuscripts hidden there."
              >
              >I would like to find more information about both the discovery and the
              >manuscripts. The magazine editor was not able to help me. Does anyone
              >have information about this?
              >
              >Prof Ron Minton
              >5379 North Farm Road 179
              >Springfield, MO 65803
              >(417) 833-9581

            • Douglas F. Salmon
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 1999
                See James H. Charlesworth, "The Manuscripts of St Catherine's Monastery,"
                _Biblical Archeologist_ 43 (Winter 1980): 26-34. This was the third of a
                series, the earlier two being in 41.1 (1978): 29-31 and 42.3 (1979):
                174-79.

                --Doug Salmon

                ----------
                > Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 3:53 PM
                > In the early 1980's James H. Charlesworth did a series of articles and
                > publications on these that may give you some idea of their contents.
                --Rod
                > Mullen
                >
                > At 12:16 PM 1/6/99 -0600, you wrote:
                > >Christian History Magazine, 465 Gunderson Dr. Carol Stream, IL 60188
                > >had an article "Discovering the Oldest New Testament" by H.G.G. Herklots
                > >in issue 43 of _Christian History_. On page 35, the caption of the
                > >picture says of the St. Catherine's monastery, "In 1975, workers
                > >discovered another 3,000 manuscripts hidden there."
                > >
                > >I would like to find more information about both the discovery and the
                > >manuscripts. The magazine editor was not able to help me. Does anyone
                > >have information about this?
                > >
                > >Prof Ron Minton
                > >5379 North Farm Road 179
                > >Springfield, MO 65803
                > >(417) 833-9581

              • George Kiraz
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 1999
                  >> Christian History Magazine, 465 Gunderson Dr. Carol Stream, IL 60188
                  >> had an article "Discovering the Oldest New Testament" by H.G.G. Herklots
                  >> in issue 43 of _Christian History_. On page 35, the caption of the
                  >> picture says of the St. Catherine's monastery, "In 1975, workers
                  >> discovered another 3,000 manuscripts hidden there."

                  A catalogue of the Syriac fragments (not manuscripts) of that discovery has
                  been catalogued:

                  S. P. Brock, _Catalogue of Syriac Fragments (New Finds) in the Library of
                  the Monastery of Saint Catherine, Mount Sinai_ (Athens: Mount Sinai
                  Foundation, 1995). ISBN 96085739-0-4 [A large volume describing the
                  fragments with photos of the fragments.]

                  ----------
                  George Anton Kiraz, Ph.D.
                  Language Modeling Research
                  Bell Laboratories