tc-list Swanson publication on Acts

  • Vincent Broman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 1999
    • Maurice A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 1999
        On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:42:55 -0500 Vincent Broman <broman@...>
        writes:

        >I was excited to hear recently that the next volume of
        >Reuben Swanson's text critical apparatus has come out:
        >"New Testament Greek Manuscripts: The Acts of the Apostles"
        >which is available through the publisher, William Carey Library,
        >at PO Box 40129, Pasadena, CA 91104, or telephone +1 626 798 0819.
        >
        >Since I was impressed by his four volumes on the Gospels,
        >I plan on ordering this right away. Having heard that Swanson's
        >health hasn't been great, I'm pleased that he was able to complete this
        >installment.

        The Acts volume (which I have) is certainly welcome, but it has some
        changes in format from the previous gospel volumes, which may or may not
        be considered improvements by the readers, depending on their
        preferences. E.g., the nomina sacra now appear in the text rather than
        in the footnote apparatus; so too the mere orthographic differences as
        well as the plain and clear blunders. Previously these were all in the
        various footnote sections. Also, there no longer is any reference to the
        Majority text (which was indicated by Gothic "M" in the gospel volumes),
        and I presume that one simply is supposed to discern "M" by looking for
        the reading supported by the majority of Swanson's collated witnesses,
        which in some cases may well be incorrect. .

        An added feature is the footnoted critique of other apparatuses,
        particularly Nestle27. I do not know how accurate the critique is,
        however, and I probably have a greater tendency to suspect Swanson's
        collation rather than the NA27 apparatus.

        Maurice A. Robinson
        Professor of NT and Greek
        Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
        Wake Forest, North Carolina.

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
      • Mike and Jeanne Arcieri
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 1999
          Maurice A. Robinson wrote:

          > The Acts volume (which I have) is certainly welcome, but it has some
          > changes in format from the previous gospel volumes, which may or may not
          > be considered improvements by the readers, depending on their
          > preferences.

          Where did you get the volume from? Did Swanson bring some at the ETS
          meeting? Any news at what Swanson is doing next?

          Mike