tc-list The PAPYRUS EGERTON 2 Homepage (TC-List)

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 1998
      For your holiday enjoyment:

      The PAPYRUS EGERTON 2 Homepage

      http://purl.org/WILLKER/Egerton/Egerton_home.html

      This page shows you images of the fragments, the restored greek text
      (diplomatic line by line transcript + apparatus), translations, a
      bibliography and some publications.
      I am very interested in your comments!

      Till now you may know only the reconstructed text given in a lot of
      secondary books, but looking at the fragment itself will show you that there
      are a lot of open questions.

      Egerton has some interesting rare Nomina Sacra, which are presented. (This
      might be of special interest for Bob Waltz and his NS collection on his
      highly recommended TC site.)
      I would like to know your comments about the restoration given by Schmidt
      for Fragment 1 Recto (the healing of the leper) which removes the factual
      impossibility of traveling with lepers.
      I also need some help with the English translations. If someone has some
      spare time, please contact me.

      Personally I love to know what Jesus is saying in Fragment 2 Verso lines
      67-70. So far no sufficient reconstruction has been found. Especially the
      first line of this fragment (line 67) is puzzling.
      Tell me what you make of it!

      Special TC-List question: What do you think about the dating? A comparison
      of Egerton with P66 and P75 might be interesting.

      Best wishes
      Wieland

      "Critically examine everything. Hold on to the good."
      (Paul, First Thessalonians 5.21)
      ---------------
      Wieland Willker
      willker@...-bremen.de
      http://purl.org/WILLKER/index.html
    • Dave Washburn
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 1998
        Wieland Willker wrote:

        > For your holiday enjoyment:
        >
        > The PAPYRUS EGERTON 2 Homepage
        >
        > http://purl.org/WILLKER/Egerton/Egerton_home.html

        This page is very well organized and the images are excellent as far as I can
        tell. I don't know that much about this topic so I can't comment too much on
        the content; however, one thing that strikes me about the page that shows
        typical letters is that there appear, to my untrained eye, to be at least two
        hands represented in the scripts. Has anyone else commented on this, or does
        anybody else here have any thoughts?

        --
        Dave Washburn
        http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur