Re: tc-list NT Textual Criticism books

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 1998
      On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Wieland Willker" <willker@...-bremen.de> wrote:

      >Today I found these books on Amazon.
      >Comments welcome:
      >
      >An Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism
      >Leon Vaganay, Christian Amphoux, Heimerdinger
      >1992
      >Cambridge University Press; ISBN: 0521424933

      This is not really a good introduction. It assumes you know too much.
      Also, the theories of the authors (especially about the "Western"
      text) are rather unorthodox.

      As a reference, however, it can be useful (it has a better
      bibliography of manuscripts than most, and is more concerned
      with the origins of manuscripts than both). Just be sure to
      read a more balanced manual first.

      >Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism
      >J. Harold Greenlee
      >1995
      >Hendrickson Publishers; ISBN: 1565630378

      This has a number of useful features, such as information on the
      terms used in textual criticism and information on how to read
      a collation. On the other hand, it is not very advanced, and
      the list of text-types to which manuscripts belong is terribly
      inaccurate.

      >New Testament Textual Criticism : A Concise Guide
      >David Alan Black
      >1994
      >Baker Bk. House; ISBN: 0801010748

      This book is extremely thin. It might be useful for someone who
      just wants to know what textual criticism is. It is not an
      adequate introduction to the discipline. And it won't tell you
      anything not found in Metzger, Aland, or even Greenlee. And
      the table of manuscripts is pretty much the same as Greenlee's --
      i.e. pitiful.

      If you already know something about TC, you might find Vaganay
      useful. It would be my first choice of this list. Greenlee may
      not teach you much, but it is widely used; it would be my second
      choice. There is no point at all in buying Black if you have any
      other TC books.