tc-list NT Textual Criticism books

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 1998
      Today I found these books on Amazon.
      Comments welcome:

      An Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism
      Leon Vaganay, Christian Amphoux, Heimerdinger
      1992
      Cambridge University Press; ISBN: 0521424933

      Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism
      J. Harold Greenlee
      1995
      Hendrickson Publishers; ISBN: 1565630378

      New Testament Textual Criticism : A Concise Guide
      David Alan Black
      1994
      Baker Bk. House; ISBN: 0801010748

      Best wishes
      Wieland

      "Critically examine everything. Hold on to the good."
      (Paul, First Thessalonians 5.21)
      ---------------
      Wieland Willker
      willker@...-bremen.de
      http://purl.org/WILLKER/index.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 1998
        On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Wieland Willker" <willker@...-bremen.de> wrote:

        >Today I found these books on Amazon.
        >Comments welcome:
        >
        >An Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism
        >Leon Vaganay, Christian Amphoux, Heimerdinger
        >1992
        >Cambridge University Press; ISBN: 0521424933

        This is not really a good introduction. It assumes you know too much.
        Also, the theories of the authors (especially about the "Western"
        text) are rather unorthodox.

        As a reference, however, it can be useful (it has a better
        bibliography of manuscripts than most, and is more concerned
        with the origins of manuscripts than both). Just be sure to
        read a more balanced manual first.

        >Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism
        >J. Harold Greenlee
        >1995
        >Hendrickson Publishers; ISBN: 1565630378

        This has a number of useful features, such as information on the
        terms used in textual criticism and information on how to read
        a collation. On the other hand, it is not very advanced, and
        the list of text-types to which manuscripts belong is terribly
        inaccurate.

        >New Testament Textual Criticism : A Concise Guide
        >David Alan Black
        >1994
        >Baker Bk. House; ISBN: 0801010748

        This book is extremely thin. It might be useful for someone who
        just wants to know what textual criticism is. It is not an
        adequate introduction to the discipline. And it won't tell you
        anything not found in Metzger, Aland, or even Greenlee. And
        the table of manuscripts is pretty much the same as Greenlee's --
        i.e. pitiful.

        If you already know something about TC, you might find Vaganay
        useful. It would be my first choice of this list. Greenlee may
        not teach you much, but it is widely used; it would be my second
        choice. There is no point at all in buying Black if you have any
        other TC books.