Re: tc-list text problems in Galatians

  • Jonathan Ryder
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 1998
      "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

      > I am about to embark on writing a commentary on Galatians and need some
      > help on text critical issues. Since part of my brief is to deal with how
      > text critical matters have a bearing on exegesis, I am intent to become
      > aware of all the text critical issues that the text history of Galatians
      > exhibits. In the light of this, I wonder if list-members might be kind
      > enough to send me text critical issues or notations of variants in the
      > text tradition of the Epistle that you know are not discussed, or which
      > you view as inadequately discussed, by Metzger in his textual
      > commentary.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter.
      >
      > Yours,
      >
      > Jeffrey Gibson
      > --
      > Jeffrey B. Gibson
      > 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      > Chicago, Illinois 60626
      > e-mail jgibson000@...

      Is this library entry any use?

      Author: O'Neill, J. C.
      Title: The recovery of Paul's letter to the Galatians/ [by] J. C.
      O'Neill
      London: S.P.C.K, 1972
      viii, 87p; 23cm
      Notes: Bibliography: p. 16-18
      Subjects: Bible. N.T. Galatians--Criticism, Textual

      J.P.Ryder
    • rlmullen@netpath.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 1998
        Gordon Fee could probably give you some pointers for your project too.
        --Rod Mullen

        At 07:35 PM 12/17/98 +0000, you wrote:
        >"Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:
        >
        >> I am about to embark on writing a commentary on Galatians and need some
        >> help on text critical issues. Since part of my brief is to deal with how
        >> text critical matters have a bearing on exegesis, I am intent to become
        >> aware of all the text critical issues that the text history of Galatians
        >> exhibits. In the light of this, I wonder if list-members might be kind
        >> enough to send me text critical issues or notations of variants in the
        >> text tradition of the Epistle that you know are not discussed, or which
        >> you view as inadequately discussed, by Metzger in his textual
        >> commentary.
        >>
        >> Thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter.
        >>
        >> Yours,
        >>
        >> Jeffrey Gibson
        >> --
        >> Jeffrey B. Gibson
        >> 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
        >> Chicago, Illinois 60626
        >> e-mail jgibson000@...
        >
        >Is this library entry any use?
        >
        >Author: O'Neill, J. C.
        >Title: The recovery of Paul's letter to the Galatians/ [by] J. C.
        >O'Neill
        > London: S.P.C.K, 1972
        > viii, 87p; 23cm
        >Notes: Bibliography: p. 16-18
        >Subjects: Bible. N.T. Galatians--Criticism, Textual
        >
        >J.P.Ryder

      • Ulrich Schmid
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 1998
          On Thu, 15 Dec 1998, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

          >I am about to embark on writing a commentary on Galatians and need some
          >help on text critical issues. Since part of my brief is to deal with how
          >text critical matters have a bearing on exegesis, I am intent to become
          >aware of all the text critical issues that the text history of Galatians
          >exhibits. In the light of this, I wonder if list-members might be kind
          >enough to send me text critical issues or notations of variants in the
          >text tradition of the Epistle that you know are not discussed, or which
          >you view as inadequately discussed, by Metzger in his textual
          >commentary.

          In order to get familiar with textual features displayed by the extant greek
          textual transmission I suggest you consult the pertinent volume of
          Text und Textwert der griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testaments II:
          Die Paulinischen Briefe, vol. 3: Galaterbrief bis Philipperbrief, de Gruyter
          1991 [vol. 18 of the series Arbeiten zur Neutestamentlichen Textforschung,
          ed. K. Aland].
          Herein you will find all the available greek manuscript evidence for 17
          selected Teststellen.

          The syriac tradition is available in:
          Das Neue Testament in syrischer Überlieferung II: Die Paulinischen Briefe,
          Teil 2: Korintherbrief, Galaterbrief,..., de Gruyter 1995 (edd. B. Aland, A.
          Juckel) [vol. 23 of the series Arbeiten zur neutestamentlichen
          Textforschung]

          Unfortunately, the pertinent Vetus Latina volume is not available.

          In order to get familiar with the highest standards obtainable in textual
          studies related to Galatians I strongly recommend two articles published by
          Tjitze Baarda:
          Marcion's Text of Gal 1,1. Concerning the Reconstruction of the First Verse
          of the Marcionite Corpus Paulinum; Vigiliae Christianae 42, 1988, 236-256.
          Gal 5,1: hH ELEYTERIA... Over de 'Westerse Tekst' en de Tekst van Marcion;
          Christologische Perspectieven. Exegetische en hermeneutische studies
          (Festschrift H. Baarlink), Kampen 1992, 173-193.

          If you wish to get familiar with extended information related to the
          Marcionite version of Galatians, I may humbly recommend my own book:
          Marcion und sein Apostolos. Rekonstruktion und historische Einordnung der
          marcionitischen Paulusbriefausgabe, deGruyter 1995 (Arbeiten zur
          neutestamentlichen Textforschung 25) including discussion of earlier
          literature (Th. Zahn, A Harnack, J.J. Clabeaux) on the subject.

          On the broader issue of early collections of Paul's letters you may want to
          consult:
          E.H. Lovering, jr., The Collection Redaction, and Early Circulation of the
          Corpus Paulinum, diss. Southern Methodist University 1988
          David Trobisch, Die Entstehung der Paulusbriefsammlung. Studien zu den
          Anfängen christlicher Publizistik, 1989 (Novum testamentum et orbis antiquus
          19), and my own comments in the above mentioned publication.

          Ulrich Schmid
        • H.P.S.Bakker
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 1999
            Dear Ulrich,

            How are you in 1999? What about your plans of coming to Holland again?

            Cheers!--Hette

            dr H.P.S. Bakker

            Slavic Seminar
            University of Amsterdam