Re: tc-list text problems in Galatians

  • Jonathan Ryder
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 1998
      "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

      > I am about to embark on writing a commentary on Galatians and need some
      > help on text critical issues. Since part of my brief is to deal with how
      > text critical matters have a bearing on exegesis, I am intent to become
      > aware of all the text critical issues that the text history of Galatians
      > exhibits. In the light of this, I wonder if list-members might be kind
      > enough to send me text critical issues or notations of variants in the
      > text tradition of the Epistle that you know are not discussed, or which
      > you view as inadequately discussed, by Metzger in his textual
      > commentary.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter.
      >
      > Yours,
      >
      > Jeffrey Gibson
      > --
      > Jeffrey B. Gibson
      > 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      > Chicago, Illinois 60626
      > e-mail jgibson000@...

      Is this library entry any use?

      Author: O'Neill, J. C.
      Title: The recovery of Paul's letter to the Galatians/ [by] J. C.
      O'Neill
      London: S.P.C.K, 1972
      viii, 87p; 23cm
      Notes: Bibliography: p. 16-18
      Subjects: Bible. N.T. Galatians--Criticism, Textual

      J.P.Ryder
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 1998

      • rlmullen@netpath.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 1998
          Gordon Fee could probably give you some pointers for your project too.
          --Rod Mullen

          At 07:35 PM 12/17/98 +0000, you wrote:
          >"Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:
          >
          >> I am about to embark on writing a commentary on Galatians and need some
          >> help on text critical issues. Since part of my brief is to deal with how
          >> text critical matters have a bearing on exegesis, I am intent to become
          >> aware of all the text critical issues that the text history of Galatians
          >> exhibits. In the light of this, I wonder if list-members might be kind
          >> enough to send me text critical issues or notations of variants in the
          >> text tradition of the Epistle that you know are not discussed, or which
          >> you view as inadequately discussed, by Metzger in his textual
          >> commentary.
          >>
          >> Thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter.
          >>
          >> Yours,
          >>
          >> Jeffrey Gibson
          >> --
          >> Jeffrey B. Gibson
          >> 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
          >> Chicago, Illinois 60626
          >> e-mail jgibson000@...
          >
          >Is this library entry any use?
          >
          >Author: O'Neill, J. C.
          >Title: The recovery of Paul's letter to the Galatians/ [by] J. C.
          >O'Neill
          > London: S.P.C.K, 1972
          > viii, 87p; 23cm
          >Notes: Bibliography: p. 16-18
          >Subjects: Bible. N.T. Galatians--Criticism, Textual
          >
          >J.P.Ryder

        • Ulrich Schmid
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 1998
            On Thu, 15 Dec 1998, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

            >I am about to embark on writing a commentary on Galatians and need some
            >help on text critical issues. Since part of my brief is to deal with how
            >text critical matters have a bearing on exegesis, I am intent to become
            >aware of all the text critical issues that the text history of Galatians
            >exhibits. In the light of this, I wonder if list-members might be kind
            >enough to send me text critical issues or notations of variants in the
            >text tradition of the Epistle that you know are not discussed, or which
            >you view as inadequately discussed, by Metzger in his textual
            >commentary.

            In order to get familiar with textual features displayed by the extant greek
            textual transmission I suggest you consult the pertinent volume of
            Text und Textwert der griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testaments II:
            Die Paulinischen Briefe, vol. 3: Galaterbrief bis Philipperbrief, de Gruyter
            1991 [vol. 18 of the series Arbeiten zur Neutestamentlichen Textforschung,
            ed. K. Aland].
            Herein you will find all the available greek manuscript evidence for 17
            selected Teststellen.

            The syriac tradition is available in:
            Das Neue Testament in syrischer Überlieferung II: Die Paulinischen Briefe,
            Teil 2: Korintherbrief, Galaterbrief,..., de Gruyter 1995 (edd. B. Aland, A.
            Juckel) [vol. 23 of the series Arbeiten zur neutestamentlichen
            Textforschung]

            Unfortunately, the pertinent Vetus Latina volume is not available.

            In order to get familiar with the highest standards obtainable in textual
            studies related to Galatians I strongly recommend two articles published by
            Tjitze Baarda:
            Marcion's Text of Gal 1,1. Concerning the Reconstruction of the First Verse
            of the Marcionite Corpus Paulinum; Vigiliae Christianae 42, 1988, 236-256.
            Gal 5,1: hH ELEYTERIA... Over de 'Westerse Tekst' en de Tekst van Marcion;
            Christologische Perspectieven. Exegetische en hermeneutische studies
            (Festschrift H. Baarlink), Kampen 1992, 173-193.

            If you wish to get familiar with extended information related to the
            Marcionite version of Galatians, I may humbly recommend my own book:
            Marcion und sein Apostolos. Rekonstruktion und historische Einordnung der
            marcionitischen Paulusbriefausgabe, deGruyter 1995 (Arbeiten zur
            neutestamentlichen Textforschung 25) including discussion of earlier
            literature (Th. Zahn, A Harnack, J.J. Clabeaux) on the subject.

            On the broader issue of early collections of Paul's letters you may want to
            consult:
            E.H. Lovering, jr., The Collection Redaction, and Early Circulation of the
            Corpus Paulinum, diss. Southern Methodist University 1988
            David Trobisch, Die Entstehung der Paulusbriefsammlung. Studien zu den
            Anfängen christlicher Publizistik, 1989 (Novum testamentum et orbis antiquus
            19), and my own comments in the above mentioned publication.

            Ulrich Schmid
          • H.P.S.Bakker
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 1999
              Dear Ulrich,

              How are you in 1999? What about your plans of coming to Holland again?

              Cheers!--Hette

              dr H.P.S. Bakker

              Slavic Seminar
              University of Amsterdam