Re: tc-list Facsimile Editions

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 1998
      > >> With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
      > >> wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

      Many of the important NT mss have appeared in facsimile editions, most are
      quite expensive and also out of print. Anyone who has priced facsimile
      editions of other manuscripts knows that the Eerdmans facsimile is a real
      bargain.

      Here are a few possibilities:

      The Olms reprint of Tischendorf's edition of Sinaiticus may still be in
      print. Pickwick Press, Pittsburgh, reprinted Scrivener's edition of Bezae.
      In both cases, these are not strictly facsimile editions, but diplomatic
      renderings of the mss in Uncial script.

      Bruce Metzger's _Manuscripts of the Greek Bible_ provides a nice collection
      of representative samples, including Greek OT.

      Jack Finegan, _Encountering New Testament manuscripts_ (Eerdmans, 1974) is
      a richly illustrated "working introduction to textual criticism." It is
      out of print, but I heard rumors that someone was planning to reissue it.

      J. K. Elliott, _A bibliography of Greek New Testament manuscripts_
      (Cambridge U. Press, 1989) lists editions and available facsimiles and
      plates by manuscript number. A very useful resource.

      > I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
      > because they are out of stock)
      >
      > The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
      > Manuscripts edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett
      >
      > from CBD Retail price $49.99 CBD price $24.95.

      I think out of stock really means not yet published, postponed from mid
      1998 to ?. It should be a valuable resource, but my impression is that it
      will only include selected plates, not full facsimiles.

      Harold P. Scanlin
      United Bible Societies
      1865 Broadway
      New York, NY 10023
      scanlin@...
    • Maurice A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 1998
        On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:46:57 -0600 dd-1@... writes:
        >Andrew, Denny Diehl here

        >I wondered the same thing. I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
        >because they are out of stock)
        >
        > The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
        > Manuscripts edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett
        >
        >from CBD Retail price $49.99 CBD price $24.95.

        They are not out of stock -- the book has not yet been published by
        Baker, and has been delayed with new publication dates for the last year
        or so. Current publication date is now set for March 1999.

        > Here is the blurb:
        >"Compiled for the first time in one volume! Comfort and Barrett
        >present a Greek transcription of 55 of the earliest New Testament
        >Manuscripts. Two-thirds of the original New Testament is here, and
        >many of its portions are dated nearly 200 years earlier than the Codex
        >Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Background information (date, location of
        >discovery) accompanies each transcription. 656 pages, hardcover.

        Blurbs are always so wonderful and positive. I have a pre-publication
        xerox copy, and I would suggest that text-critics will have high levels
        of disappointment in the format and claims regarding the MSS as found in
        this volume when it comes out.
        One egregious example out of many: P39 is claimed to be totally identical
        with B, which could only work if the reconstructed portions in fact agree
        with B and offer *no* other possibilities (which they do, if one consults
        Grenfell and Hunt's original edition).

        Also, the format for presentation of the Greek text is extremely crowded,
        and one seriously could wish that a monospaced Greek font had been used
        instead of a proportional one.

        Add to that the fact that the layout and presentation of the
        reconstructed + extant portions of the papyri and uncial fragments
        antedating AD 400 (and that is all that there is in the volume, in
        accordance with Comfort's conclusion that the reading of 2 out of 3 of
        the earliest MSS is automatically "best") does *not* conform to the usual
        style or conventions for reconstruction as found in, e.g. the Oxyrhynchus
        volumes (e.g. supplied portions have only one bracket, before the extant
        text, and not [ ] enclosing the supplied words), and it is not
        surprising that this volume appears careless in overall production.

        Nevertheless, it still is a reasonably accurate presentation of the data
        of the pre-AD 400 papyri and uncial fragments, and can serve a useful
        purpose, even if it does not look as professional as it should and even
        if Comfort (as usual) claims far more than is warranted in regard to the
        MSS he presents.

        It also should be noted that Comfort's book will be out of date by the
        time it is published, since it will not include the new papyri and uncial
        fragments listed in the latest Muenster _Bericht_ volume (1998) which I
        just received (though p101, p102, p104 are included). The early papyri
        which remain unincluded will be p100, p103, p106, p107, p108, p109, p110,
        p111, p113, p114, and p115, and uncial fragment 0308. Of course Comfort
        readily found room for 7Q5, and basically proclaims its authenticity :-)

        Also, the MSS included are not facsimiles, but transcriptions and
        reconstructions in typeset format (using that poor-quality proportional
        font mentioned above). There apparently will be photographs of sample
        pages of some (but not all) of the MSS heading various sections.

        Maurice A. Robinson
        Professor of NT and Greek
        Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
        Wake Forest, North Carolina

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
      • John Albu
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 1998
          On December 15, 1998 Andrew Payne wrote:

          > With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
          > wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

          A complete color facsimile edition of Vaticanus 1209 will be
          published by the Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato, Italy.

          John Albu

          Simplify your holiday shopping...
          Visit our partners for great holiday gifts.
          http://www.netzero.net/etoys
          http://www.netzero.net/amazon