Re: tc-list Facsimile Editions

  • Bruce Morrill
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 1998
      On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Andrew Payne wrote:
      > With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
      > wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

      There are many. See JK Elliott's Bibliography of NT mss.

      Bruce Morrill bruce@...
    • dd-1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 1998
        Andrew, Denny Diehl here

        >> With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
        >> wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

        I wondered the same thing. I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
        because they are out of stock)

        The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
        Manuscripts edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett

        from CBD Retail price $49.99 CBD price $24.95. Here is the blurb:

        "Compiled for the first time in one volume! Comfort and Barrett
        present a Greek transcription of 55 of the earliest New Testament
        Manuscripts. Two-thirds of the original New Testament is here, and
        many of its portions are dated nearly 200 years earlier than the Codex
        Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Background information (date, location of
        discovery) accompanies each transcription. 656 pages, hardcover.

        All the best.
        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
      • Harold P. Scanlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 1998
          > >> With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
          > >> wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

          Many of the important NT mss have appeared in facsimile editions, most are
          quite expensive and also out of print. Anyone who has priced facsimile
          editions of other manuscripts knows that the Eerdmans facsimile is a real
          bargain.

          Here are a few possibilities:

          The Olms reprint of Tischendorf's edition of Sinaiticus may still be in
          print. Pickwick Press, Pittsburgh, reprinted Scrivener's edition of Bezae.
          In both cases, these are not strictly facsimile editions, but diplomatic
          renderings of the mss in Uncial script.

          Bruce Metzger's _Manuscripts of the Greek Bible_ provides a nice collection
          of representative samples, including Greek OT.

          Jack Finegan, _Encountering New Testament manuscripts_ (Eerdmans, 1974) is
          a richly illustrated "working introduction to textual criticism." It is
          out of print, but I heard rumors that someone was planning to reissue it.

          J. K. Elliott, _A bibliography of Greek New Testament manuscripts_
          (Cambridge U. Press, 1989) lists editions and available facsimiles and
          plates by manuscript number. A very useful resource.

          > I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
          > because they are out of stock)
          >
          > The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
          > Manuscripts edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett
          >
          > from CBD Retail price $49.99 CBD price $24.95.

          I think out of stock really means not yet published, postponed from mid
          1998 to ?. It should be a valuable resource, but my impression is that it
          will only include selected plates, not full facsimiles.

          Harold P. Scanlin
          United Bible Societies
          1865 Broadway
          New York, NY 10023
          scanlin@...
        • Maurice A. Robinson
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 1998
            On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:46:57 -0600 dd-1@... writes:
            >Andrew, Denny Diehl here

            >I wondered the same thing. I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
            >because they are out of stock)
            >
            > The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
            > Manuscripts edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett
            >
            >from CBD Retail price $49.99 CBD price $24.95.

            They are not out of stock -- the book has not yet been published by
            Baker, and has been delayed with new publication dates for the last year
            or so. Current publication date is now set for March 1999.

            > Here is the blurb:
            >"Compiled for the first time in one volume! Comfort and Barrett
            >present a Greek transcription of 55 of the earliest New Testament
            >Manuscripts. Two-thirds of the original New Testament is here, and
            >many of its portions are dated nearly 200 years earlier than the Codex
            >Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Background information (date, location of
            >discovery) accompanies each transcription. 656 pages, hardcover.

            Blurbs are always so wonderful and positive. I have a pre-publication
            xerox copy, and I would suggest that text-critics will have high levels
            of disappointment in the format and claims regarding the MSS as found in
            this volume when it comes out.
            One egregious example out of many: P39 is claimed to be totally identical
            with B, which could only work if the reconstructed portions in fact agree
            with B and offer *no* other possibilities (which they do, if one consults
            Grenfell and Hunt's original edition).

            Also, the format for presentation of the Greek text is extremely crowded,
            and one seriously could wish that a monospaced Greek font had been used
            instead of a proportional one.

            Add to that the fact that the layout and presentation of the
            reconstructed + extant portions of the papyri and uncial fragments
            antedating AD 400 (and that is all that there is in the volume, in
            accordance with Comfort's conclusion that the reading of 2 out of 3 of
            the earliest MSS is automatically "best") does *not* conform to the usual
            style or conventions for reconstruction as found in, e.g. the Oxyrhynchus
            volumes (e.g. supplied portions have only one bracket, before the extant
            text, and not [ ] enclosing the supplied words), and it is not
            surprising that this volume appears careless in overall production.

            Nevertheless, it still is a reasonably accurate presentation of the data
            of the pre-AD 400 papyri and uncial fragments, and can serve a useful
            purpose, even if it does not look as professional as it should and even
            if Comfort (as usual) claims far more than is warranted in regard to the
            MSS he presents.

            It also should be noted that Comfort's book will be out of date by the
            time it is published, since it will not include the new papyri and uncial
            fragments listed in the latest Muenster _Bericht_ volume (1998) which I
            just received (though p101, p102, p104 are included). The early papyri
            which remain unincluded will be p100, p103, p106, p107, p108, p109, p110,
            p111, p113, p114, and p115, and uncial fragment 0308. Of course Comfort
            readily found room for 7Q5, and basically proclaims its authenticity :-)

            Also, the MSS included are not facsimiles, but transcriptions and
            reconstructions in typeset format (using that poor-quality proportional
            font mentioned above). There apparently will be photographs of sample
            pages of some (but not all) of the MSS heading various sections.

            Maurice A. Robinson
            Professor of NT and Greek
            Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
            Wake Forest, North Carolina

            or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
          • John Albu
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 17, 1998
              On December 15, 1998 Andrew Payne wrote:

              > With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
              > wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

              A complete color facsimile edition of Vaticanus 1209 will be
              published by the Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato, Italy.

              John Albu

              Simplify your holiday shopping...
              Visit our partners for great holiday gifts.
              http://www.netzero.net/etoys
              http://www.netzero.net/amazon