tc-list Facsimile Editions

  • Andrew Payne
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15 4:14 PM
      With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
      wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

      Andrew Payne
    • Bruce Morrill
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15 6:22 PM
        On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Andrew Payne wrote:
        > With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
        > wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

        There are many. See JK Elliott's Bibliography of NT mss.

        Bruce Morrill bruce@...
      • dd-1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16 5:46 AM
          Andrew, Denny Diehl here

          >> With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
          >> wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

          I wondered the same thing. I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
          because they are out of stock)

          The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
          Manuscripts edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett

          from CBD Retail price $49.99 CBD price $24.95. Here is the blurb:

          "Compiled for the first time in one volume! Comfort and Barrett
          present a Greek transcription of 55 of the earliest New Testament
          Manuscripts. Two-thirds of the original New Testament is here, and
          many of its portions are dated nearly 200 years earlier than the Codex
          Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Background information (date, location of
          discovery) accompanies each transcription. 656 pages, hardcover.

          All the best.
          or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
        • Harold P. Scanlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16 8:10 AM
            > >> With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
            > >> wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

            Many of the important NT mss have appeared in facsimile editions, most are
            quite expensive and also out of print. Anyone who has priced facsimile
            editions of other manuscripts knows that the Eerdmans facsimile is a real
            bargain.

            Here are a few possibilities:

            The Olms reprint of Tischendorf's edition of Sinaiticus may still be in
            print. Pickwick Press, Pittsburgh, reprinted Scrivener's edition of Bezae.
            In both cases, these are not strictly facsimile editions, but diplomatic
            renderings of the mss in Uncial script.

            Bruce Metzger's _Manuscripts of the Greek Bible_ provides a nice collection
            of representative samples, including Greek OT.

            Jack Finegan, _Encountering New Testament manuscripts_ (Eerdmans, 1974) is
            a richly illustrated "working introduction to textual criticism." It is
            out of print, but I heard rumors that someone was planning to reissue it.

            J. K. Elliott, _A bibliography of Greek New Testament manuscripts_
            (Cambridge U. Press, 1989) lists editions and available facsimiles and
            plates by manuscript number. A very useful resource.

            > I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
            > because they are out of stock)
            >
            > The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
            > Manuscripts edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett
            >
            > from CBD Retail price $49.99 CBD price $24.95.

            I think out of stock really means not yet published, postponed from mid
            1998 to ?. It should be a valuable resource, but my impression is that it
            will only include selected plates, not full facsimiles.

            Harold P. Scanlin
            United Bible Societies
            1865 Broadway
            New York, NY 10023
            scanlin@...
          • Maurice A. Robinson
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 16 9:25 AM
              On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:46:57 -0600 dd-1@... writes:
              >Andrew, Denny Diehl here

              >I wondered the same thing. I just ordered (but it was back-ordered
              >because they are out of stock)
              >
              > The Complete Text Of The Earliest New Testament
              > Manuscripts edited by Philip Comfort & David Barrett
              >
              >from CBD Retail price $49.99 CBD price $24.95.

              They are not out of stock -- the book has not yet been published by
              Baker, and has been delayed with new publication dates for the last year
              or so. Current publication date is now set for March 1999.

              > Here is the blurb:
              >"Compiled for the first time in one volume! Comfort and Barrett
              >present a Greek transcription of 55 of the earliest New Testament
              >Manuscripts. Two-thirds of the original New Testament is here, and
              >many of its portions are dated nearly 200 years earlier than the Codex
              >Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Background information (date, location of
              >discovery) accompanies each transcription. 656 pages, hardcover.

              Blurbs are always so wonderful and positive. I have a pre-publication
              xerox copy, and I would suggest that text-critics will have high levels
              of disappointment in the format and claims regarding the MSS as found in
              this volume when it comes out.
              One egregious example out of many: P39 is claimed to be totally identical
              with B, which could only work if the reconstructed portions in fact agree
              with B and offer *no* other possibilities (which they do, if one consults
              Grenfell and Hunt's original edition).

              Also, the format for presentation of the Greek text is extremely crowded,
              and one seriously could wish that a monospaced Greek font had been used
              instead of a proportional one.

              Add to that the fact that the layout and presentation of the
              reconstructed + extant portions of the papyri and uncial fragments
              antedating AD 400 (and that is all that there is in the volume, in
              accordance with Comfort's conclusion that the reading of 2 out of 3 of
              the earliest MSS is automatically "best") does *not* conform to the usual
              style or conventions for reconstruction as found in, e.g. the Oxyrhynchus
              volumes (e.g. supplied portions have only one bracket, before the extant
              text, and not [ ] enclosing the supplied words), and it is not
              surprising that this volume appears careless in overall production.

              Nevertheless, it still is a reasonably accurate presentation of the data
              of the pre-AD 400 papyri and uncial fragments, and can serve a useful
              purpose, even if it does not look as professional as it should and even
              if Comfort (as usual) claims far more than is warranted in regard to the
              MSS he presents.

              It also should be noted that Comfort's book will be out of date by the
              time it is published, since it will not include the new papyri and uncial
              fragments listed in the latest Muenster _Bericht_ volume (1998) which I
              just received (though p101, p102, p104 are included). The early papyri
              which remain unincluded will be p100, p103, p106, p107, p108, p109, p110,
              p111, p113, p114, and p115, and uncial fragment 0308. Of course Comfort
              readily found room for 7Q5, and basically proclaims its authenticity :-)

              Also, the MSS included are not facsimiles, but transcriptions and
              reconstructions in typeset format (using that poor-quality proportional
              font mentioned above). There apparently will be photographs of sample
              pages of some (but not all) of the MSS heading various sections.

              Maurice A. Robinson
              Professor of NT and Greek
              Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
              Wake Forest, North Carolina

              or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
            • John Albu
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 17 2:28 AM
                On December 15, 1998 Andrew Payne wrote:

                > With the Leningrad Codex available for OT TC, it has caused me to
                > wonder, are there any facsimiles available for NT students?

                A complete color facsimile edition of Vaticanus 1209 will be
                published by the Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato, Italy.

                John Albu

                Simplify your holiday shopping...
                Visit our partners for great holiday gifts.
                http://www.netzero.net/etoys
                http://www.netzero.net/amazon