Re: tc-list Vendyl, ShemTob & Qumran

  • James Trimm
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 1998
      Yes it does, as James Tabor said:

      I too was sorry to see this issue of VJ bulletin and how he was playing so
      fast and loose with the facts. I would add one IMPORTANT point...Even
      Bohan and Even BoCHan are NOT even the same words in Hebrew...

      One is a place name from Joshua 15:6, and is the Stone of BOCHAN (spelled
      with a Chet) the name of a person, son of Reuben, but also meaning
      THUMB...and that marker indeed looks like a thumb sticking up, just north
      of Qumran...Maybe the guy was tall and called "the thumb" as a knickname,
      and the rock got his name.

      The other word is Even Bohan (spelled with a Hey), the Smooth Stone or
      touchstone (used in Isa 28:16), an entirely different word.

      To confuse the two is like maintaining that the words "car"and "cat" are
      the same in English...after all, only one letter difference!!

      James Tabor

      At 11:47 AM 12/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
      >Some remark:
      >
      >I looked the two words up in my pocket Ben Yehuda-Weinstein
      English-Hebrew-English dictionary.

      christian.hoffmann@...
      >www: http://www.wsl.ch/wsidb/leute/cho/choHPENG.html
      >ftp: ftp.wsl.ch/pub/Hoffmann
      >I prefer WWW pages which can be viewed best with *any* browser, contain
      >*no* cookies, *no* Java, *no* frames, and *no* required images !

      James Trimm
      He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
      and having found he will be amazed,
      and having been amazed he will reign,
      and having reigned he will rest.
      - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews
      The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
      PO Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053; USA
      http://www.nazarene.net
      A nonprofit organization supported by freewill offerings
      E-mail discusion groups: Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
      Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the
      New Testament; Prophecy, Sabbatarian & b-Aramaic.
      Subscribe at: http://www.nazarene.net
      Essene Forum: Essene website, listserver & links:
      http://www.nazarene.net/essene/essene_forum.htm