Re: tc-list Vendyl, ShemTob & Qumran

  • Christian Hoffmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 1998
      Some remark:

      I looked the two words up in my pocket Ben Yehuda-Weinstein English-Hebrew-English dictionary.

      There the two words are clearly:

      bohen (bet-he-nun): thumb
      bochen ( bet-chet-nun): touch-stone as even-bochan.

      Will this affect the ongoing dispute?

      Shalom
      --Christian

      At 21:07 10.12.98 -0600, you wrote:

      >I have learned that Vendyl Jones has published some of his false claims
      >about Shem Tob Matthew as recently as October of 1998:
      >
      > "Rabbi Shem Tov Ben Isaac Ben-Shaprut... wrote a polemic book
      > against Christianity. Included in this book was a chapter titled
      > Eben Bohan.

      [clip]

      >The truth is:
      >
      >1. Shem-Tob's entire book is titled "Even Bohan"
      >not just the one chapter that has Matthew transcribed into it.
      >
      >2. The book is called "Even Bohan" (the touchstone) while the location
      >at Qumran is called "Even Bochan" (the stone thumb). They are not even
      >the same Hebrew word (as James Taber has pointed out)

      [clip]

      I M P O R T A N T : Due to a temporary server shutdown, I will receive all
      messages that arrive in the period Dec 16-Jan 4 only after Jan 4, 1999. In
      case of urgency, please use the fax or phone numbers given below, but only before
      Dec. 24. Happy Christmas/Hag Sameakh/A peaceful New Year
      Christian W. Hoffmann
      Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research
      CH-8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland
      phone: ++41-1-739 22 77 fax : ++41-1-739 22 15 e-mail: christian.hoffmann@...
      www: http://www.wsl.ch/wsidb/leute/cho/choHPENG.html
      ftp: ftp.wsl.ch/pub/Hoffmann
      I prefer WWW pages which can be viewed best with *any* browser, contain
      *no* cookies, *no* Java, *no* frames, and *no* required images !
    • James Trimm
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 1998
        Yes it does, as James Tabor said:

        I too was sorry to see this issue of VJ bulletin and how he was playing so
        fast and loose with the facts. I would add one IMPORTANT point...Even
        Bohan and Even BoCHan are NOT even the same words in Hebrew...

        One is a place name from Joshua 15:6, and is the Stone of BOCHAN (spelled
        with a Chet) the name of a person, son of Reuben, but also meaning
        THUMB...and that marker indeed looks like a thumb sticking up, just north
        of Qumran...Maybe the guy was tall and called "the thumb" as a knickname,
        and the rock got his name.

        The other word is Even Bohan (spelled with a Hey), the Smooth Stone or
        touchstone (used in Isa 28:16), an entirely different word.

        To confuse the two is like maintaining that the words "car"and "cat" are
        the same in English...after all, only one letter difference!!

        James Tabor

        At 11:47 AM 12/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
        >Some remark:
        >
        >I looked the two words up in my pocket Ben Yehuda-Weinstein
        English-Hebrew-English dictionary.

        >There the two words are clearly:
        >
        >bohen (bet-he-nun): thumb
        >bochen ( bet-chet-nun): touch-stone as even-bochan.
        >
        >Will this affect the ongoing dispute?
        >
        >Shalom
        >--Christian
        >
        >At 21:07 10.12.98 -0600, you wrote:
        >>
        >>I have learned that Vendyl Jones has published some of his false claims
        >>about Shem Tob Matthew as recently as October of 1998:
        >>
        >> "Rabbi Shem Tov Ben Isaac Ben-Shaprut... wrote a polemic book
        >> against Christianity. Included in this book was a chapter titled
        >> Eben Bohan.
        >>

        >[clip]
        >
        >>The truth is:
        >>
        >>1. Shem-Tob's entire book is titled "Even Bohan"
        >>not just the one chapter that has Matthew transcribed into it.
        >>
        >>2. The book is called "Even Bohan" (the touchstone) while the location
        >>at Qumran is called "Even Bochan" (the stone thumb). They are not even
        >>the same Hebrew word (as James Taber has pointed out)
        >>
        >[clip]

        >I M P O R T A N T : Due to a temporary server shutdown, I will receive all
        >messages that arrive in the period Dec 16-Jan 4 only after Jan 4, 1999. In
        >case of urgency, please use the fax or phone numbers given below, but only
        before
        >Dec. 24. Happy Christmas/Hag Sameakh/A peaceful New Year
        >Christian W. Hoffmann
        >Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research
        >CH-8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland
        >phone: ++41-1-739 22 77 fax : ++41-1-739 22 15 e-mail:
        christian.hoffmann@...
        >www: http://www.wsl.ch/wsidb/leute/cho/choHPENG.html
        >ftp: ftp.wsl.ch/pub/Hoffmann
        >I prefer WWW pages which can be viewed best with *any* browser, contain
        >*no* cookies, *no* Java, *no* frames, and *no* required images !

        James Trimm
        He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
        and having found he will be amazed,
        and having been amazed he will reign,
        and having reigned he will rest.
        - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews
        The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
        PO Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053; USA
        http://www.nazarene.net
        A nonprofit organization supported by freewill offerings
        E-mail discusion groups: Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
        Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the
        New Testament; Prophecy, Sabbatarian & b-Aramaic.
        Subscribe at: http://www.nazarene.net
        Essene Forum: Essene website, listserver & links:
        http://www.nazarene.net/essene/essene_forum.htm