tc-list Mt 6.28b (Sinaiticus)* // P. Oxy. 655.1 // Q 12.27

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 1998
      Have any of you seen the following?

      James M. Robinson & Christoph Heil, "Zeugnisse eines schriflichen, griechischen
      vorkanonischen Textes: Mt 6, 28b X [aleph]*, P. Oxy. 655 1, 1-17 (EvTh 36) und
      Q 12.27", _ZNW_ 89 (1998), pp. 30-44.

      Its thesis is that a scribal error by an editor of Q changed his source's OU
      XAINEI ("they do not card") to AUXANEI / AUXANOUSIN ("they grow"). Matthew and
      Luke were then dependent on a version of Q that featured the AUXANEI /
      AUXANOUSIN wording. The argument that OU XAINEI was found in an early Greek
      collection of Jesus' sayings is supposedly attested by (1) the occurrence of
      OU XAINOUSIN in the original reading of Codex Sinaiticus at Matt. 6.28
      (revealed by Skeat in 1938) and (2) a possible reconstruction of the text of
      Thomas 36 in P. Oxy. 655.

      Does anyone who has read the article find its argument persuasive? I have
      several problems with it from a source-critical perspective, but I would be
      most grateful to hear any expert text-critical views on it.

      James Robinson gave a presentation of the basic thesis at the Q section of the
      SBL annual meeting a couple of weeks ago but I suspect that it will have been
      missed by any TC-Listers in Orlando because it was scheduled at the same time
      as the Text Criticism Section.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom