tc-list Vendyl, ShemTob & Qumran

  • James Trimm
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 1998
      I have learned that Vendyl Jones has published some of his false claims
      about Shem Tob Matthew as recently as October of 1998:

      "Rabbi Shem Tov Ben Isaac Ben-Shaprut... wrote a polemic book
      against Christianity. Included in this book was a chapter titled
      Eben Bohan.

      This chapter is a copy of Matthew written in Hebrew. ...
      The Shem Tov text did not contain the first two chapters
      of Matthew. Even Professor Howard stated that he had
      filled in all the parts missing from the text he copied from
      the Jewish Theological Seminary of America.

      From where did the title "Even Bohan" come?...
      Even Bohan is due west from the north end of the Dead Sea....
      All that area is now referred to as Qumran.
      (Vendyl Jones Research Institute RESEARCHER Oct. '98 p. 14-15)

      Vendyl also falsely claims that Codex Sinaticus lacks the first two
      chapters. He writes

      "That Codex Sinaticus Gospel of Matthew begins with Matthew 3:1."
      (Vendyl Jones Research Institute RESEARCHER Oct. '98 p. 14)

      The truth is:

      1. Shem-Tob's entire book is titled "Even Bohan"
      not just the one chapter that has Matthew transcribed into it.

      2. The book is called "Even Bohan" (the touchstone) while the location
      at Qumran is called "Even Bochan" (the stone thumb). They are not even
      the same Hebrew word (as James Taber has pointed out)

      3. The Shem Tob version of Matthew DOES contain the first two chapters of
      Matthew.
      George Howard did NOT add them

      4. The Greek Siniatic text of Matthew ALSO contains the first two
      chapters. In fact I have a facsimile of the first page of it.

      James Trimm
      He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
      and having found he will be amazed,
      and having been amazed he will reign,
      and having reigned he will rest.
      - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews
      The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
      PO Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053; USA
      http://www.nazarene.net
      A nonprofit organization supported by freewill offerings
      E-mail discusion groups: Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
      Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the
      New Testament; Prophecy, Sabbatarian & b-Aramaic.
      Subscribe at: http://www.nazarene.net
      Essene Forum: Essene website, listserver & links:
      http://www.nazarene.net/essene/essene_forum.htm
    • Christian Hoffmann
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 1998
        Some remark:

        I looked the two words up in my pocket Ben Yehuda-Weinstein English-Hebrew-English dictionary.

        There the two words are clearly:

        bohen (bet-he-nun): thumb
        bochen ( bet-chet-nun): touch-stone as even-bochan.

        Will this affect the ongoing dispute?

        Shalom
        --Christian

        At 21:07 10.12.98 -0600, you wrote:

        >I have learned that Vendyl Jones has published some of his false claims
        >about Shem Tob Matthew as recently as October of 1998:
        >
        > "Rabbi Shem Tov Ben Isaac Ben-Shaprut... wrote a polemic book
        > against Christianity. Included in this book was a chapter titled
        > Eben Bohan.

        [clip]

        >The truth is:
        >
        >1. Shem-Tob's entire book is titled "Even Bohan"
        >not just the one chapter that has Matthew transcribed into it.
        >
        >2. The book is called "Even Bohan" (the touchstone) while the location
        >at Qumran is called "Even Bochan" (the stone thumb). They are not even
        >the same Hebrew word (as James Taber has pointed out)

        [clip]

        I M P O R T A N T : Due to a temporary server shutdown, I will receive all
        messages that arrive in the period Dec 16-Jan 4 only after Jan 4, 1999. In
        case of urgency, please use the fax or phone numbers given below, but only before
        Dec. 24. Happy Christmas/Hag Sameakh/A peaceful New Year
        Christian W. Hoffmann
        Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research
        CH-8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland
        phone: ++41-1-739 22 77 fax : ++41-1-739 22 15 e-mail: christian.hoffmann@...
        www: http://www.wsl.ch/wsidb/leute/cho/choHPENG.html
        ftp: ftp.wsl.ch/pub/Hoffmann
        I prefer WWW pages which can be viewed best with *any* browser, contain
        *no* cookies, *no* Java, *no* frames, and *no* required images !
      • James Trimm
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 1998
          Yes it does, as James Tabor said:

          I too was sorry to see this issue of VJ bulletin and how he was playing so
          fast and loose with the facts. I would add one IMPORTANT point...Even
          Bohan and Even BoCHan are NOT even the same words in Hebrew...

          One is a place name from Joshua 15:6, and is the Stone of BOCHAN (spelled
          with a Chet) the name of a person, son of Reuben, but also meaning
          THUMB...and that marker indeed looks like a thumb sticking up, just north
          of Qumran...Maybe the guy was tall and called "the thumb" as a knickname,
          and the rock got his name.

          The other word is Even Bohan (spelled with a Hey), the Smooth Stone or
          touchstone (used in Isa 28:16), an entirely different word.

          To confuse the two is like maintaining that the words "car"and "cat" are
          the same in English...after all, only one letter difference!!

          James Tabor