Re: tc-list request from ioudaios

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 1998
      George Howard wrote:

      > Colleagues:
      > I have received a request for information from Stephen Goranson on
      > the ioudaios list. For some reason I cannot reply on that list. We
      > have recently had a change in addresses at UGA and I suppose that is the
      > reason. I will try to correct that. In the meantime I am replying to
      > his request here, hoping that someone will transfer the message to the
      > ioudaios list.
      >
      > I'm still here. My response to Bill Petersen's review of my book on
      > Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew has been prepared and will appear in TC. A
      > Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism. James Adair assures me that it
      > will be published before the end of this year so it can be in the same
      > volume as Petersen's critique. I am also preparing a response to
      > Petersen's latest article in NTS and Horbury's appendix in Davies and
      > Allison. It will be a while before can appear in print.

      I will look forward to that article, Dr. Howard. I must admit thatI found
      Petersen convincing but I am sure you respond well to
      his points. My primary source of skepticism for Shem-tob as a
      relic of a semitic "proto-Matthew" is simply that I cannot read
      the Greek Matthew and see it as a translation from Hebrew. I
      can understand Aramaic sub-structures in some of the sayings
      material but even then the scribe's sources may have already
      been Greek translations.
      I will be watching the Journal with great anticipation.

      Jack