tc-list request from ioudaios

  • George Howard
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 1998
      Colleagues:
      I have received a request for information from Stephen Goranson on
      the ioudaios list. For some reason I cannot reply on that list. We
      have recently had a change in addresses at UGA and I suppose that is the
      reason. I will try to correct that. In the meantime I am replying to
      his request here, hoping that someone will transfer the message to the
      ioudaios list.

      I'm still here. My response to Bill Petersen's review of my book on
      Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew has been prepared and will appear in TC. A
      Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism. James Adair assures me that it
      will be published before the end of this year so it can be in the same
      volume as Petersen's critique. I am also preparing a response to
      Petersen's latest article in NTS and Horbury's appendix in Davies and
      Allison. It will be a while before can appear in print.

      George Howard
      UGA
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 1998
        George Howard wrote:

        > Colleagues:
        > I have received a request for information from Stephen Goranson on
        > the ioudaios list. For some reason I cannot reply on that list. We
        > have recently had a change in addresses at UGA and I suppose that is the
        > reason. I will try to correct that. In the meantime I am replying to
        > his request here, hoping that someone will transfer the message to the
        > ioudaios list.
        >
        > I'm still here. My response to Bill Petersen's review of my book on
        > Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew has been prepared and will appear in TC. A
        > Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism. James Adair assures me that it
        > will be published before the end of this year so it can be in the same
        > volume as Petersen's critique. I am also preparing a response to
        > Petersen's latest article in NTS and Horbury's appendix in Davies and
        > Allison. It will be a while before can appear in print.

        I will look forward to that article, Dr. Howard. I must admit thatI found
        Petersen convincing but I am sure you respond well to
        his points. My primary source of skepticism for Shem-tob as a
        relic of a semitic "proto-Matthew" is simply that I cannot read
        the Greek Matthew and see it as a translation from Hebrew. I
        can understand Aramaic sub-structures in some of the sayings
        material but even then the scribe's sources may have already
        been Greek translations.
        I will be watching the Journal with great anticipation.

        Jack