Re: tc-list Mk 16:19-20 KURIOS IHSOUS

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 1998
      Though the evidence presented below is interesting, important, and
      worthwhile, it is not realy helpful. First, witnesses are weighed, not
      counted. Here we have stones on a scale but we dont know if they are lumps
      of coal or diamonds in the rough. For instance, the fact that 16:9-20 is
      absent from 3 witnesses may lead some to say- "ahah! see, ONLY three
      witnesses lack it, so it must have been dropped by them" when in fact the
      contrary is equally possible. Further, the weighing of manuscripts says
      nothing about quality, textual affinity, or usefulness in TC.

      Now, let me hasten to say that I dont think Ulrich is weighing mss. I
      simply wanted to point out the danger for those who do.

      best,

      Jim