Re: tc-list Mk 16:19-20 KURIOS IHSOUS

  • Ulrich Schmid
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 1998
      Below you will find the pertinent information from the "Text und Textwert"
      volumes on Mark (16:19):

      a) KURIOS is given by 1521 witnesses.

      b) The whole of Mk 16:9-20 is absent from 3 witnesses.

      c) IHSOUS is given by three witnesses.

      d) KURIOS IHSOUS is given by 85 witnesses.

      e) KURIOS IHSOUS CHRISTOS is given by one witness (032).

      f) KURIOS IHSOUS omitted by one witness (minuscule 2693)

      g) A total of 134 witnesses are either illegible from microfilm or
      lacuneous.

      Note: The denominator "witness" does NOT EQUAL manuscript. One manuscript
      can testify to more than one reading at a given place by giving, e.g.
      corrections, marginal notes, etc.). Unfortunately, one has to emphasize the
      obvious, since even scholars reviewing "Text und Textwert" confuse the two.

      Dr. Ulrich Schmid
      schmiul@...
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 1998
        Though the evidence presented below is interesting, important, and
        worthwhile, it is not realy helpful. First, witnesses are weighed, not
        counted. Here we have stones on a scale but we dont know if they are lumps
        of coal or diamonds in the rough. For instance, the fact that 16:9-20 is
        absent from 3 witnesses may lead some to say- "ahah! see, ONLY three
        witnesses lack it, so it must have been dropped by them" when in fact the
        contrary is equally possible. Further, the weighing of manuscripts says
        nothing about quality, textual affinity, or usefulness in TC.

        Now, let me hasten to say that I dont think Ulrich is weighing mss. I
        simply wanted to point out the danger for those who do.

        best,

        Jim