Re: Collation against MT vs. TR

  • Timster132@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 6, 1995
      In a message dated 95-12-05 mrobinsn@...
      (Elston Gunn) writes:

      > Pickering's
      >rationale for this strange situation is not stemmatics like H/F, but
      >merely his conclusion that the Byzantine reading as it stands does not
      >square with his concepts of biblical inerrancy, and thus "must" be wrong,
      >even though most scribes went for it.....If "majority text" theory keeps
      >heading for minority text readings, whether stemmatically-based or on the
      >basis of the theological whims of the critic, I fail to see how any
      >meaningful "majority text theory" can remain.

      Isn't that the point? H&F believe in an omnipotent God who has
      providentially
      preserved the text and that conviction has led them to try proving the
      "Majority
      text" position with their stemma, etc. Likewise, Pickering's belief of
      inerrancy leads him to pick and chose a text that supports his beliefs.

      Maurice Robinson stands out from the crowd, in that his devotion to the
      Byzantine text family is based squarely on his interpretation of textual
      transmission. He and I don't see eye to eye on textual transmission, but I
      appreciate his approach much more than that of H/F.

      BTW, is anyone on the list proficient at reading Greek miniscule cursive?

      Tim Staker
      Timster132@...
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997