tc-list Semitic NT Project

  • James Trimm
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 1998
      THE SEMITIC NEW TESTAMENT PROJECT

      The Semitic New Testament project is an ongoing SANJ project to produce a
      new and accurate translation of the New Testament taken primarily from old
      Hebrew and Aramaic sources. Unlike most translations this edition will not
      be rooted in a Greek Hellenistic text. This translation will seek to
      understand the text of the New Testament from the languages in which it was
      originally written. This is important because there are some passages in
      the NT which do not make sense at all in Greek, but only begin to make
      sense when we look at them in Hebrew and Aramaic. For example:

      Acts 11:27-30

      And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch.
      Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the
      Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all
      THE WORLD, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar.
      Then the talmidim, each according to his ability, determined to send
      relief to the brothers dwelling IN JUDEA. This they also did,
      and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

      Now this doesn't make sense at all, why would those in Antioch send relief
      to those dwelling IN JUDEA if the famine was to strike all THE WORLD. They
      would be facing famine themselves.

      The solution lies in the fact that the word for "WORLD" in the Aramaic
      manuscripts is A'RA (Strong's #772) the Aramaic form of the Hebrew word
      ERETZ (Strong's 776). This word can mean "world" (as in Prov. 19:4)
      "earth" (as in Dan. 2:35) or "land" (as in Dan. 9:15) and is often used as
      a euphemism for "The Land of Israel" (as in Dan. 9:6). Certainly the word
      here is not meant to mean "world" but "land of Israel."

      Mt. 26:9 = Mk. 14:3

      And when Y'shua was in Bethany at the house of
      Simon the leper,

      As any Bible student knows, lepers were not permitted to live in the city
      (see Lev. 13:46). Since ancient Hebrew and Aramaic were written without
      vowels, there was no distinction between the Aramaic words GAR'BA (leper)
      and GARABA (jar maker or jar merchant). Since in this story a woman pours
      oil from a jar it is apparent that Simon was a jar merchant or jar maker
      and not a leper.

      Mt. 19:12 & Acts 8:26f

      ....there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the
      Kingdom of Heaven's sake....
      --Mt. 19:12 NKJV

      So he [Phillip] arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a
      eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians,
      who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to
      worship.
      --Acts 8:27 NKJV

      The man in Acts 8:27 appears to be a proselyte to Judaism since he seems to
      be making the Torah-required pilgrimage to Jerusalem (Dt. 16:16). The
      Torah, however, forbids a eunuch both from becoming a proselyte Jew, and
      from worshiping at the Temple (Dt. 23:1f). This also raises the question
      of why one would become a eunuch (be castrated) for the sake of the Kingdom
      of Heaven. After all eunuchs are excluded from the assembly of Israel.

      The word for "eunuch" in the Aramaic manuscripts of both of theses passages
      is M'HAIMNA which can mean "eunuch" but can also mean "believer" or
      "faithful one" as it clearly means here.

      Mt. 19:24 = Mk. 10:25 = Lk. 18:25

      ...it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle
      than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.

      The word for "camel" in the Aramaic manuscripts is GAMLA which can mean
      "camel" but can also refer to a "large rope," which is certainly the
      meaning here.

      Mt. 6:22-23 (&Mt. 20:15; Lk. 11:34)

      The lamp of the body is the eye, if therefore your eye is good,
      your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your
      whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is
      in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

      In Greek and in English this passage is meaningless. However, in Hebrew
      and Aramaic, to have a "good eye" ("single eye" in the KJV) is an idiomatic
      expression meaning to be generous. Having a "bad eye" or "evil eye" is an
      idiomatic expression meaning to be stingy.

      Rev. 19:17

      Then I saw an angel standing IN THE SUN; and he cried with a loud
      voice, saying to all the birds that fly in heaven, "Come gather together
      for the supper of the great God...

      Since ancient Hebrew and Aramaic are written without vowels, B'SHESHA (in
      the sun) and B'SHAMESHA (in the service/ministry) are indistinguishable.
      Clearly the text here should read "in the service/ministry."

      These are just a few examples of passages from the NT that don't make
      sense in Greek and English but only begin to make sense when we look at
      them in Hebrew and Aramaic.

      Some of the features of the Semitic NT version will be:

      * Religiously neutral language ("immerse" not "baptize"; "assembly" not
      "church" etc.)

      * Judaic terminology ("Messiah" not "Christ" etc.)

      * Hebraic renderings of proper nouns ("Yochanan" not "John" etc.)

      * YHWH in the correct places in the text based on manuscript evidence.

      * Very literal renderings.

      * Insights based on the Semitic cultural and linguistic origin of the text.

      We plan to soon have some internet samples of this translation out on the net.

      This project is supported by freewill offerings. All contributions are tax
      deductible.
      Anyone who contributes $20.00 or more will receive a free copy of my book
      THE SEMITIC ORIGIN OF THE NEW TESTAMENT as well as a sample of this
      translation taken from Ephesians. If you would like to support this
      project just send check or money order made out to "Society for the
      Advancement of Nazarene Judaism" with "S.N.T.P." written on the memo line to:

      Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism
      PO Box 471
      Hurst, TX 76053
      USA

      James Trimm
      He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
      and having found he will be amazed,
      and having been amazed he will reign,
      and having reigned he will rest.
      - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews
      The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
      PO Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053; USA
      http://www.nazarene.net
      A nonprofit organization supported by freewill offerings
      E-mail discusion groups: Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
      Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the
      New Testament; Prophecy, Sabbatarian & b-Aramaic.
      Subscribe at: http://www.nazarene.net
      Essene Forum: Essene website, listserver & links:
      http://www.nazarene.net/essene/essene_forum.htm
    • James Trimm
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 1998

        >> THE SEMITIC NEW TESTAMENT PROJECT
        >
        ><SNIP>
        >
        >Some of the features of the Semitic NT version will be:
        >
        >* Religiously neutral language ("immerse" not "baptize";
        >
        >I wonder, given the intensity of the debates between "Immersion only"
        Church bodies and those which recognize both immersion and
        sprinkling/pouring, how is replacing "baptize" with "immerse" religiously
        neutral language?

        This is pure linguistics. Greek BAPTIZO and Hebrew T'VILLA literally MEAN
        "immersion" we will use the word "immersion" because it literally
        translates the text and does not have the theological baggage that
        "baptize" does.

        >Just wondering,
        >Rev. Craig R. Harmon
        >
        >-----
        >See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/tc-list/?start=4747
        >--
        >Free e-mail group hosting at http://www.eGroups.com/

        James Trimm
        He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
        and having found he will be amazed,
        and having been amazed he will reign,
        and having reigned he will rest.
        - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews
        The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
        PO Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053; USA
        http://www.nazarene.net
        A nonprofit organization supported by freewill offerings
        E-mail discusion groups: Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
        Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the
        New Testament; Prophecy, Sabbatarian & b-Aramaic.
        Subscribe at: http://www.nazarene.net
        Essene Forum: Essene website, listserver & links:
        http://www.nazarene.net/essene/essene_forum.htm
      • Rev. Craig R. Harmon
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 1998

          > THE SEMITIC NEW TESTAMENT PROJECT

          <SNIP>

          Some of the features of the Semitic NT version will be:

          * Religiously neutral language ("immerse" not "baptize";

          I wonder, given the intensity of the debates between "Immersion only" Church bodies and those which recognize both immersion and sprinkling/pouring, how is replacing "baptize" with "immerse" religiously neutral language?

          Just wondering,
          Rev. Craig R. Harmon

          -----
          See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/tc-list/?start=4747
        • Perry L. Stepp
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 1998
            (Not that I'm the arbiter of good taste or protocol or anything--just a
            lowly Ph.D. candidate.)

            As interesting as it might be, let's let this debate (BAPTIZW=immerse?) die,
            or take it off-list. It has nothing to do with textual criticism.

            Perry L. Stepp

            Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
            Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
            #1 Cowboy Fan
            Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman
            mail to: plstepp@...

            "That depends on what the definition of the word 'is' is."
            --William Jefferson Clinton, 17 August 1998

          • Lamerson, Sam
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 1998
              Craig,
              I had that same thought, being a Presbyterian and all. :-)

              Sam Lamerson
              Knox Seminary

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 1998

                > This is pure linguistics. Greek BAPTIZO and Hebrew T'VILLA literally MEAN
                > "immersion" we will use the word "immersion" because it literally
                > translates the text and does not have the theological baggage that
                > "baptize" does.

                I may get back to you about the meaning of BAPTIZO and T'VILLA later. At the moment, I only wish to suggest that the word "immersion" carries it's own theological baggage and is nowhere near being theologically neutral.

                Just my oppinion, of course.
                Craig R. Harmon

                -----
                See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/tc-list/?start=4759