tc-list Re: Marya' = YHVH ?

  • James Trimm
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 1998
      At 09:33 AM 9/27/98 -0700, you wrote:

      >A few days ago there were some posts on this list by Rolf Furuli and James
      >Trimm
      >On the Aramaic word " Marya’ " being = to "YHVH" as stated in a number of
      >Aramaic / Syriac Lexicons.
      >
      >The "Syriac English Dictionary " by Payne Smith states on page 298 ( I have
      >a very old copy )
      >under " Mara’ "
      > "…….Mara’ and Marya’ the latter form is used only of the LORD God and in
      >the Peshitta Version of the O.T. represents the Tetragrammaton."
      >
      >Let’s take a look at this statement.
      >The following is a list of verses from the Peshitta
      >where the Syriac / Aramaic word " Marya’ " occurs compared with the Hebrew
      >and the Greek
      >
      >Gen 2:4
      >
      >Sy = marya’ ‘alaha’
      >
      >MT= YHVH Elohim
      >
      >LXX= kurios ho theos
      >

      >Gen 15:2
      >
      >Sy = marya’ ‘alaha’
      >
      >MT = adonai YHVH
      >
      >LXX = despota kurie
      >

      >Jer 1:6
      >
      >Sy = marya’ ‘alaha’
      >
      >MT = adonai YHVH
      >
      >LXX = despota kurie
      >

      >Eze 2:4
      >
      >Sy = marya’ merutha’
      >
      >MT = adonai YHVH
      >
      >LXX = kurios ( only )
      >

      >Amos 1:8
      >
      >Sy = marya’ merutha’
      >
      >MT = adonai YHVH
      >
      >LXX = kurios ( only )
      >

      >Micah 1:2
      >
      >Sy = mara’ merutha’ ………marya’
      >
      >MT = adonai YHVH…….adonai
      >
      >LXX = kurios kurios kurios
      >some = kurios ho theos kurios
      >

      >Mal 3:1
      >
      >Sy = marya’
      >
      >MT = haadon
      >
      >LXX = kupios

      Mark,

      The examples you site all involve the Hebrew phrase "adonai YHWH" where
      admittedly the present text of the Peshitta is affected by various
      substitution traditions (or may even reflect textual variants).

      You do neem to have found one exception in Mal. 3:1. Perhaps here also we
      have a textual variant.

      >>From this short study I do not see a consistent pattern of Marya’ = YHVH in
      >the Tanach, even though it is mainly true it is not always true.

      Mark,

      Although there may be some few exceptions, this may also simply reflect
      alternate textual traditions.
      The exceptions are so few that they are not beyond the margin of error of
      the potential for utherwise unknown textual variants.
      James Trimm
      He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
      and having found he will be amazed,
      and having been amazed he will reign,
      and having reigned he will rest.
      - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews
      The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
      PO Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053; USA
      http://www.nazarene.net
      A nonprofit organization supported by freewill offerings
      E-mail discusion groups: Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
      Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the
      New Testament; Prophecy, Sabbatarian & b-Aramaic.
      Subscribe at: http://www.nazarene.net
      Essene Forum: Essene website, listserver & links:
      http://www.nazarene.net/essene/essene_forum.htm