Re: Collation against MT vs. TR

  • Elston Gunn
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 5, 1995
      On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:

      > I think its fair to say that they both believe that if
      > such a stemmatic reconstruction were to be applied to the rest of the NT,
      > the Byz text would stand at the top of the stemma (whether that would truly
      > be the case is another issue altogether), thus the title--for better or
      > worse-- "Majority Text."

      I still retain some doubts on this score, particularly in light of a
      (currently) privately-circulated paper by Wilbur Pickering in which he
      devastates what remains valid in any sort of "majority text" theory by
      advocating a particular variant reading in Ac.12:25 supported by a mere 5%
      of the MS base -- even though the Byzantine reading is secure (though
      slightly less than the optimal 70%) with 60% support. Pickering's
      rationale for this strange situation is not stemmatics like H/F, but
      merely his conclusion that the Byzantine reading as it stands does not
      square with his concepts of biblical inerrancy, and thus "must" be wrong,
      even though most scribes went for it.....If "majority text" theory keeps
      heading for minority text readings, whether stemmatically-based or on the
      basis of the theological whims of the critic, I fail to see how any
      meaningful "majority text theory" can remain.

      > Besides, who'd want to buy the "Stemmatically-reconstructed Text" or the
      > "Intra-Byzantine Stemmatic(Minority) Text"...somehow they just don't quite
      > have the right ring to them.... :-)

      Neither (in my opinion) does the term "majority text" have the right
      ring. One reason I consider my position one of "Byzantine-priority,"
      which begs no questions regarding number.

      Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor of Greek and New Testament
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
      Wake Forest, North Carolina
      <mrobinsn@...>
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997