Re: tc-list Quality of fragment photos

  • Thomas J. Kraus
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 1998
      > Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:47:16 +0200
      > From: Wieland Willker <willker@...-bremen.de>
      > To: tc-list@...
      > Subject: tc-list Quality of fragment photos

      On Wednesday, 12 Aug 1998 13:47:16 +0200 Wieland Willer wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > today I looked through one of C.P. Thiede's books about the dating of
      > the Magdalen Mt papyrus. One can have different opinions about his
      > dating, but he has the best photos I have ever seen of a papyrus
      > fragment.
      > I think, with these new(?) photographic tools he used one can make a lot
      > more out of some fragments.
      > For example the Egerton gospel, if I remember correctly it was published
      > in 1935. I would love to see a "Thiede" photo of fragment 2 verso. This
      > otherwise unknown parable/miracle is my personal obsession. :-)
      > The photos of the recently published new Egerton fragment (Papyrus Koeln
      > 255) are also not very thrilling.
      > Will there ever be any new photos?
      >
      > Best wishes
      > Wieland

      Dear Wieland,
      sorry on the delay on responding to your inquiry, but I just recently
      arrrived at work again after having been stuck on several airports in the
      world because of an airline strike.
      Unfortunately, I do not agree with you about the quality of the photos
      contained in Thiede´s and D´Ancona´s "popular bestseller" about the
      Magdalen fragments. Despite the requested and among papyrologists and
      palaeographers undisputed method of publishing a papyrus, the tiny Qumran
      fragment 7Q5 as well as the Magdalen fragments are reproduced with a deep
      blue background. But only a white background enables the observer to
      distinguish between holes in a papyrus and ink blots. Dark backgrounds
      then make such an observation impossible. The same pseudo-scientific
      approach is revealed by putting thick red lines over the disputed letters
      in order to establish a sincere reading. From a palaeographical view this
      is nonsense: the red writing laid over the original letter-traces totally
      covers them, and they do not represent any hand of early origin which
      could be compared with the writing on the papyri, but only Thiede´s own
      handwriting. This should definitely not be regarded as a model of how to
      reproduce papyri. See on the edition of a papyrus, for instance: E. G.
      Turner, Greek Papyri. An Introduction (2nd ed.; Oxford 1980) 54-73.
      But what´s of more interest for you, Wieland, are the Egerton frgs. and
      how to get a grip on good quality pictures of them. The best way, I think,
      is to write directly to the British Museum in London and the
      "Papyrussammlung der Uninversität Köln"
      (http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/zpe/links.html)
      or, what you may have already found, you´ll find any picture in the
      literature given under the following
      (http://www.teleport.com/~cabern/andrew/primary/grospels.html)
      I hope that you´ll find what you´re looking for.
      Best wishes,
      Thomas

      Universität Regensburg
      Kath.-theol. Fakultät
      Universitätsstr. 31
      D-93053 Regensburg

      Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
      Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
      thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 1998
        On 9 Sep 98 at 8:56, Thomas J. Kraus wrote:

        > . . . . what you may have
        > already found, you´ll find any picture in the literature given under the
        > following (http://www.teleport.com/~cabern/andrew/primary/grospels.html)

        A quick correction: the URL is:

        http://www.teleport.com/~cabern/andrew/primary/gospels.html

        Mark
        --------------------------------------
        Dept of Theology Tel: +44 (0)121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham Fax: +44 (0)121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT
        United Kingdom

        World Without Q: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q
      • Wieland Willker
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 1998
          > Unfortunately, I do not agree with you about the quality of the photos
          > contained in Thiede=B4s and D=B4Ancona=B4s "popular bestseller" about the
          > Magdalen fragments. Despite the requested and among papyrologists and
          > palaeographers undisputed method of publishing a papyrus, the tiny Qumran
          > fragment 7Q5 as well as the Magdalen fragments are reproduced with a deep
          > blue background. But only a white background enables the observer to
          > distinguish between holes in a papyrus and ink blots.

          Hallo Thomas,

          you are right on everything.
          What I meant was just the quality of the photography ITSELF not its presentation (and manipulation).
          About requesting photos from the British Museum, I have not much hope...

          Best wishes
          Wieland

          -----
          Original Message: http://www.findmail.com/list/tc-list/?start=4489