Re: tc-list "not" in Isaiah 9:3

  • scanlin@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 2, 1998
      The lo [with aleph] we lo [with waw] ketiv-qere variant is a famous
      Masoretic phenomenon which occurs 17 times in the Hebrew Bible, including
      Isa 9.2. (See Weil: MM 1795 for the list.) Bruno Ognibeni, in Tradizioni
      orali di letture e testo ebraico della Bibbia: studio de diciassette ketiv
      l' / qere lw (Fribourg, 1989) says that in every instance the context may
      be considered ambiguous. (For convenience, see the short review of
      Ognibeni in CBQ 53(1991):681-2.) O.'s textual analysis of Isa 9.2 is on
      pp. 95-99.

      Harold P. Scanlin
      United Bible Societies
      1865 Broadway
      New York, NY 10023
      scanlin@...
    • Roderic L. Mullen
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 2, 1998
        I wonder if this "lo" could be another example of the emphatic particle as
        suggested for Ex.3:3 by Brevard Childs on p.50 of his Commentary on Exodus.
        See also Kholer-Baumgartner (English ed.) vol.2, pp510-511. A translation
        could then read "you have made the nations populous indeed!" A difficulty
        here would be that "Lo" emphatic seems usually to precede the predicate.
        --Rod Mullen

      • Cook@AKAD.SUN.AC.ZA
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 1998
          From: scanlin@...
          Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:47:54 -0400
          Subject: Re: tc-list "not" in Isaiah 9:3
          To: "INTERNET:tc-list@..." <tc-list@...>

          The lo [with aleph] we lo [with waw] ketiv-qere variant is a famous
          Masoretic phenomenon which occurs 17 times in the Hebrew Bible, including
          Isa 9.2. (See Weil: MM 1795 for the list.) Bruno Ognibeni, in Tradizioni
          orali di letture e testo ebraico della Bibbia: studio de diciassette ketiv
          l' / qere lw (Fribourg, 1989) says that in every instance the context may
          be considered ambiguous. (For convenience, see the short review of
          Ognibeni in CBQ 53(1991):681-2.) O.'s textual analysis of Isa 9.2 is on
          pp. 95-99.

          Harold P. Scanlin
          United Bible Societies
          1865 Broadway
          New York, NY 10023
          scanlin@...

          I addressed the orthography of the large Isaiah scroll in the
          Festschrift for Millik published in Krakow.

          Prof. Johann Cook
          Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
          University of Stellenbosch
          7600 Stellenbosch
          SOUTH AFRICA
          tel 22-21-8083207
          fax: 22-21-8083480
        • Ronald L. Minton
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 8, 1998
            I need the page #s of James F. Mosley "Tyndale's Supper of the Lord"
            _Notes and Quires_ Nov. 21, 1942. Does anyone have them handy?

            Prof. Ron Minton
            rminton@... (417)833-9581
            5379 North Farm Road 179
            Springfield, MO 65803
          • tc-list-owner
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 2, 1998
              General Information about the List
              tc-list: a discussion list of biblical textual criticism

              This list is loosely associated with the new electronic journal _TC:
              A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism_, and it is intended for a
              discussion of any matters relating to biblical textual criticism, broadly
              defined. The rationale for the creation of the TC journal is given below.
              It is hoped that subscribers to the tc-list will reflect on and respond to
              material from articles in TC, will deal with issues that arise in the
              context of text-critical study in the community of biblical scholars at
              large, and will use the list to suggest new ideas and methodologies.
              Notes on any aspect of the textual criticism of the Jewish and Christian
              scriptures (including extracanonical and related literature) are welcome,
              and threads that transcend the traditional boundary between textual
              criticism of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and New Testament textual
              criticism are especially encouraged. We would also like to see threads
              that discuss the relationship between textual criticism and other
              disciplines.

              This list is an unmoderated list, and anyone who is a subscriber to the
              list may contribute. Conventional netiquette should be followed by all
              contributors to the list. The following points in particular should be
              kept in mind. (1) Discussion of topics other than textual criticism (or
              other topics likely to be of interest to members of the list) should be
              avoided. (2) Scholarly discussion can at times be somewhat heated, but
              civility should always prevail. (3) Contributors to the list should
              always sign their messages with their names (not just e-mail addresses).
              Additional information, such as institutional affiliation, might also be
              of interest to others on the list. (4) When responding to a message on
              the list, quote only that portion of the message that you are responding
              to, or enough of the message to remind readers of the context of the
              discussion. In many cases it is not necessary to quote the entire message.

              Archives of tc-list are automatically maintained, and they may be
              accessed by sending a message like the following to
              majordomo@...:

              get tc-list tc-list.yymm

              where yy is a 2-digit year and mm is a 2-digit month (e.g., tc-list.9604
              for April 1996). The first month archived is November 1995 (tc-list.9511).

              List archives may also be accessed on the Web at
              http://purl.org/TC/archives/tc-list/tc-list.html.
              TC messages since 28 Feb 1997 are also archived by Reference.COM at
              http://www.reference.com

              address you are sending from.

              You may also subscribe to this list in digest form (i.e., messages
              bundled and sent out a few times per week) by sending this message to
              majordomo@...:

              subscribe tc-list-digest [your e-mail address]

              If you subscribe to the digest, be sure to unsubscribe from the list so
              you won't receive everything twice.

              To send a message to the list for all to read, send your message to
              tc-list@.... Don't send to tc-list-digest, even if
              you're subscribed to the digest. Just send to tc-list.

              If you do not want to receive messages for a while (e.g., you're going on
              vacation or will be away from your computer for an extended time), please
              unsubscribe from the list. There is no "vacation" command on this list.
              When you want to start receiving messages again, simply subscribe to the
              list again.

              TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
              One of the benefits of increasingly widespread Internet access is the
              ease with which scholars in a particular field can communicate with one
              another. Although the sciences have dominated the electronic journal
              field up until this point, several journals in the humanities are now
              available online. TC follows in the (brief) tradition of the Journal of
              Buddhist Ethics, the International Journal of Tantric Studies, and the
              Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies. As far as we are aware, TC is the
              first Web journal in the area of biblical studies.

              Why "biblical" textual criticism (rather than t-c of the NT or the Hebrew
              Bible/OT)? It is time for textual critics in the two camps to communicate
              more with one another. Textual critics in one field can only benefit by
              hearing what those in the other field have to say. The journal will
              accept papers dealing with any aspect of textual criticism of the
              OT/Hebrew Bible or NT, and it especially encourages "crossover"
              papers that deal with both areas. Papers dealing either with specific
              cruxes or with larger issues (methodology, use of versional evidence,
              etc.) are welcome. Brief notes or full-length articles are equally
              acceptable.

              Why an electronic journal? The fact of the matter is that printing a
              journal costs a lot of money (especially with recent increases in paper
              prices). In addition, it is debatable whether the field of textual
              criticism could generate a large enough base to support a paper journal.
              There are technical difficulties with displaying non-Latin characters that
              will have to be addressed, but some of these difficulties have already
              been overcome. With an electronic journal, scholars and students around
              the world can have free access to one or another form of the journal,
              either via the World Wide Web, FTP, or e-mail.

              TC is now in its second year of operation, and we are looking for
              articles. Please submit your articles in electronic form to:

              Jimmy Adair
              Scholars Press
              P.O. Box 15399
              Atlanta, GA 30333-0399
              USA

              You are also welcome to send articles via e-mail to
              jadair@..., or you may upload your articles directly to
              our FTP site at ftp://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/uploads/TC.

              TC has a home page on TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web site
              (http://purl.org/TC), and interested parties
              can look at this page for announcements. We look forward to your
              participation in TC and tc-list!

              The list-owner of tc-list is Jimmy Adair (jadair@...).
            • tc-list-owner

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 31, 1999
[...]

                    List archives may also be accessed on the Web at
[...]

                    ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion
                    486 Castleaire Dr.
                    Stone Mountain, GA 30087