tc-list RE: the Isaiah scroll

  • Curt Niccum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 1998
      The great Isaiah scroll (1QIsa-a) is reasonably similar to the MT. The
      first half of the scroll (chs. 1-32) is slightly closer to the MT than
      the second half. The scribe employed two scrolls for Isaiah. The second
      had a fuller orthography and was apparently defective in places which
      accounts for most of the variations from the MT in chs. 33-66. (By the
      way, 1QIsa-b is very similar, indeed almost identical to the MT.) As for
      the orthography of lw), the Dead Sea Scrolls (even 1QIsa-a) can not be
      used to solve the issue of which "lo" was meant by an author (or
      editor). lw) can represent any of the following: lw, l), lw), lh, l)h.
      This is not only an issue of "Qumran orthography" (the existence of
      which I doubt). The same fluctuation in spellings occurs in the MT as
      well. Having been educated with grammars which by necessity had to
      impose classifications on word usage, it becomes second nature to assume
      lw (as a spelling in a ms) always means lw (as a definition in
      Brown-Driver-Briggs). This can be misleading. The orthography and
      morphology of Hebrew was much too fluid during the time that the
      biblical text took its shape.

      Curt Niccum