Re: tc-list "not" in Isaiah 9:3

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
      The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
      cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
      if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.

      Jack

      Mark Gipe wrote:

      > Isaiah 9:2
      >
      > As MT
      >
      > "hirbitha hagoy lo' " = "you have made the nation populous no"
      >
      > The Leningrad Codex B19a ( and I'm sure others ) has a side note to read the
      > text as "lo" instead of "lo' " that is lamed vav instead of lamed alef so
      > the translation should read something like " You have made the nation
      > populous for him" or "for it"
      >
      > Mark Gipe
      >

      > At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
      > >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
      > >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
      > >help is appreciated.
      > >
      > >Prof. Ron Minton
      > >rminton@... (417)833-9581
      > >5379 North Farm Road 179
      > >Springfield, MO 65803

      Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net
    • Mark Gipe
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
        Have it, thanks anyway Jack,

        Mark

        At 07:22 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
        >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
        >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
        >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.
        >
        >Jack
        >
        >Mark Gipe wrote:
        >>
        >> Isaiah 9:2
        >>
        >> As MT
        >>
        >> "hirbitha hagoy lo' " = "you have made the nation populous no"
        >>
        >> The Leningrad Codex B19a ( and I'm sure others ) has a side note to read the
        >> text as "lo" instead of "lo' " that is lamed vav instead of lamed alef so
        >> the translation should read something like " You have made the nation
        >> populous for him" or "for it"
        >>
        >> Mark Gipe
        >>

        >> At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
        >> >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
        >> >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
        >> >help is appreciated.
        >> >
        >> >Prof. Ron Minton
        >> >rminton@... (417)833-9581
        >> >5379 North Farm Road 179
        >> >Springfield, MO 65803
        >> >

        >--
        >
        >Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA
        >
        >Jack Kilmon
        >jkilmon@...
        >
        >http://www.historian.net

      • Kevin W. Woodruff
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
          Ron:

          The evidence:
          "not increased": The Kethiv of the Massoretic text and the Vulgate
          "increased":The Qere of the Massoretic text and the Targums
          The LXX has "Most of the people You have brought down in Your joy

          Hope this helps

          At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
          >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
          >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
          >help is appreciated.
          >
          >Prof. Ron Minton
          >rminton@... (417)833-9581
          >5379 North Farm Road 179
          >Springfield, MO 65803

          Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
          Library Director/Reference Librarian
          Cierpke Memorial Library
          1815 Union Ave.
          Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
          United States of America
          423/493-4252 (office)
          423/698-9447 (home)
          423/493-4497 (FAX)
          Cierpke@... (preferred)
          kwoodruf@... (alternate)
        • Steven Carr
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
            In message <35EC8FCA.70380CC@...>, Jack Kilmon
            <jkilmon@...> writes
            >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
            >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
            >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.

            Is this DSS Isaiah Scroll very similar, or reasonably similar, or quite
            different from the later MT text?
          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 2, 1998
              Steven Carr wrote:

              > In message <35EC8FCA.70380CC@...>, Jack Kilmon
              > <jkilmon@...> writes
              > >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
              > >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
              > >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.
              >
              > Is this DSS Isaiah Scroll very similar, or reasonably similar, or quite
              > different from the later MT text?

              1QIs(a) and 1QIs(b) were the first scrolls found in the caves by theBedouin
              shepherd boy in 1947. I saw this scroll for the first time
              in 1948 in Bill Albright's office at JHU. The B scroll is very similar
              to the MT with minor variations. The A Scroll is something else
              again. It uses "Qumranese" and language common to the time it was
              copied rather than when composed.

              Jack
              jkilmon@...
            • scanlin@compuserve.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 2, 1998
                The lo [with aleph] we lo [with waw] ketiv-qere variant is a famous
                Masoretic phenomenon which occurs 17 times in the Hebrew Bible, including
                Isa 9.2. (See Weil: MM 1795 for the list.) Bruno Ognibeni, in Tradizioni
                orali di letture e testo ebraico della Bibbia: studio de diciassette ketiv
                l' / qere lw (Fribourg, 1989) says that in every instance the context may
                be considered ambiguous. (For convenience, see the short review of
                Ognibeni in CBQ 53(1991):681-2.) O.'s textual analysis of Isa 9.2 is on
                pp. 95-99.

                Harold P. Scanlin
                United Bible Societies
                1865 Broadway
                New York, NY 10023
                scanlin@...
              • Roderic L. Mullen
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 2, 1998
                  I wonder if this "lo" could be another example of the emphatic particle as
                  suggested for Ex.3:3 by Brevard Childs on p.50 of his Commentary on Exodus.
                  See also Kholer-Baumgartner (English ed.) vol.2, pp510-511. A translation
                  could then read "you have made the nations populous indeed!" A difficulty
                  here would be that "Lo" emphatic seems usually to precede the predicate.
                  --Rod Mullen

                • Cook@AKAD.SUN.AC.ZA
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3, 1998
                    From: scanlin@...
                    Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:47:54 -0400
                    Subject: Re: tc-list "not" in Isaiah 9:3
                    To: "INTERNET:tc-list@..." <tc-list@...>

                    The lo [with aleph] we lo [with waw] ketiv-qere variant is a famous
                    Masoretic phenomenon which occurs 17 times in the Hebrew Bible, including
                    Isa 9.2. (See Weil: MM 1795 for the list.) Bruno Ognibeni, in Tradizioni
                    orali di letture e testo ebraico della Bibbia: studio de diciassette ketiv
                    l' / qere lw (Fribourg, 1989) says that in every instance the context may
                    be considered ambiguous. (For convenience, see the short review of
                    Ognibeni in CBQ 53(1991):681-2.) O.'s textual analysis of Isa 9.2 is on
                    pp. 95-99.

                    Harold P. Scanlin
                    United Bible Societies
                    1865 Broadway
                    New York, NY 10023
                    scanlin@...

                    I addressed the orthography of the large Isaiah scroll in the
                    Festschrift for Millik published in Krakow.

                    Prof. Johann Cook
                    Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
                    University of Stellenbosch
                    7600 Stellenbosch
                    SOUTH AFRICA
                    tel 22-21-8083207
                    fax: 22-21-8083480
                  • Ronald L. Minton
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 8, 1998
                      I need the page #s of James F. Mosley "Tyndale's Supper of the Lord"
                      _Notes and Quires_ Nov. 21, 1942. Does anyone have them handy?

                      Prof. Ron Minton
                      rminton@... (417)833-9581
                      5379 North Farm Road 179
                      Springfield, MO 65803
                    • tc-list-owner
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 2, 1998
                        General Information about the List
                        tc-list: a discussion list of biblical textual criticism

                        This list is loosely associated with the new electronic journal _TC:
                        A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism_, and it is intended for a
                        discussion of any matters relating to biblical textual criticism, broadly
                        defined. The rationale for the creation of the TC journal is given below.
                        It is hoped that subscribers to the tc-list will reflect on and respond to
                        material from articles in TC, will deal with issues that arise in the
                        context of text-critical study in the community of biblical scholars at
                        large, and will use the list to suggest new ideas and methodologies.
                        Notes on any aspect of the textual criticism of the Jewish and Christian
                        scriptures (including extracanonical and related literature) are welcome,
                        and threads that transcend the traditional boundary between textual
                        criticism of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and New Testament textual
                        criticism are especially encouraged. We would also like to see threads
                        that discuss the relationship between textual criticism and other
                        disciplines.

                        This list is an unmoderated list, and anyone who is a subscriber to the
                        list may contribute. Conventional netiquette should be followed by all
                        contributors to the list. The following points in particular should be
                        kept in mind. (1) Discussion of topics other than textual criticism (or
                        other topics likely to be of interest to members of the list) should be
                        avoided. (2) Scholarly discussion can at times be somewhat heated, but
                        civility should always prevail. (3) Contributors to the list should
                        always sign their messages with their names (not just e-mail addresses).
                        Additional information, such as institutional affiliation, might also be
                        of interest to others on the list. (4) When responding to a message on
                        the list, quote only that portion of the message that you are responding
                        to, or enough of the message to remind readers of the context of the
                        discussion. In many cases it is not necessary to quote the entire message.

                        Archives of tc-list are automatically maintained, and they may be
                        accessed by sending a message like the following to
                        majordomo@...:

                        get tc-list tc-list.yymm

                        where yy is a 2-digit year and mm is a 2-digit month (e.g., tc-list.9604
                        for April 1996). The first month archived is November 1995 (tc-list.9511).

                        List archives may also be accessed on the Web at
                        http://purl.org/TC/archives/tc-list/tc-list.html.
                        TC messages since 28 Feb 1997 are also archived by Reference.COM at
                        http://www.reference.com

                        address you are sending from.

                        You may also subscribe to this list in digest form (i.e., messages
                        bundled and sent out a few times per week) by sending this message to
                        majordomo@...:

                        subscribe tc-list-digest [your e-mail address]

                        If you subscribe to the digest, be sure to unsubscribe from the list so
                        you won't receive everything twice.

                        To send a message to the list for all to read, send your message to
                        tc-list@.... Don't send to tc-list-digest, even if
                        you're subscribed to the digest. Just send to tc-list.

                        If you do not want to receive messages for a while (e.g., you're going on
                        vacation or will be away from your computer for an extended time), please
                        unsubscribe from the list. There is no "vacation" command on this list.
                        When you want to start receiving messages again, simply subscribe to the
                        list again.

                        TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
                        One of the benefits of increasingly widespread Internet access is the
                        ease with which scholars in a particular field can communicate with one
                        another. Although the sciences have dominated the electronic journal
                        field up until this point, several journals in the humanities are now
                        available online. TC follows in the (brief) tradition of the Journal of
                        Buddhist Ethics, the International Journal of Tantric Studies, and the
                        Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies. As far as we are aware, TC is the
                        first Web journal in the area of biblical studies.

                        Why "biblical" textual criticism (rather than t-c of the NT or the Hebrew
                        Bible/OT)? It is time for textual critics in the two camps to communicate
                        more with one another. Textual critics in one field can only benefit by
                        hearing what those in the other field have to say. The journal will
                        accept papers dealing with any aspect of textual criticism of the
                        OT/Hebrew Bible or NT, and it especially encourages "crossover"
                        papers that deal with both areas. Papers dealing either with specific
                        cruxes or with larger issues (methodology, use of versional evidence,
                        etc.) are welcome. Brief notes or full-length articles are equally
                        acceptable.

                        Why an electronic journal? The fact of the matter is that printing a
                        journal costs a lot of money (especially with recent increases in paper
                        prices). In addition, it is debatable whether the field of textual
                        criticism could generate a large enough base to support a paper journal.
                        There are technical difficulties with displaying non-Latin characters that
                        will have to be addressed, but some of these difficulties have already
                        been overcome. With an electronic journal, scholars and students around
                        the world can have free access to one or another form of the journal,
                        either via the World Wide Web, FTP, or e-mail.

                        TC is now in its second year of operation, and we are looking for
                        articles. Please submit your articles in electronic form to:

                        Jimmy Adair
                        Scholars Press
                        P.O. Box 15399
                        Atlanta, GA 30333-0399
                        USA

                        You are also welcome to send articles via e-mail to
                        jadair@..., or you may upload your articles directly to
                        our FTP site at ftp://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/uploads/TC.

                        TC has a home page on TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web site
                        (http://purl.org/TC), and interested parties
                        can look at this page for announcements. We look forward to your
                        participation in TC and tc-list!

                        The list-owner of tc-list is Jimmy Adair (jadair@...).
                      • tc-list-owner

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 31, 1999
[...]

                              List archives may also be accessed on the Web at
[...]

                              ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion
                              486 Castleaire Dr.
                              Stone Mountain, GA 30087