Re: tc-list "not" in Isaiah 9:3

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1 1:27 PM
      >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
      >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
      >help is appreciated.

      9:3? Cuz there is no "lo" to be seen, either in the text or in the apparatus.

      >Prof. Ron Minton
      >rminton@... (417)833-9581
      >5379 North Farm Road 179
      >Springfield, MO 65803

      ++++++++++++++++++++++
      Jim West, ThD
      Quartz Hill School of Theology
      jwest@...
    • Rodney Hutton
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1 3:01 PM
        The Hebrew of Isaiah 9:2 (= 9:3 in English) does have a peculiar text,
        reading something like:
        "You have multiplied the nation (haggoi). NOT! (lo'). You have
        increased the joy." The editor suggests reading "You have multiplied the
        rejoicing (haggilah), you have increased the joy." LXX reads "The major
        part of the nation which you (m.s.) have brought down (kategages) in your
        rejoicing." I cannot suggest withouth Hatch and Redpath how LXX derived
        its reading from either the MT or the editor's proposed reading. I can
        see why the BHS editor suggests taking haggoi lo as haggila, but LXX
        supports the reading of haggoi. If a textual change were made from
        haggilah to haggoi, it would have had to have occured prior to the
        translation into Greek. I'd have to check in Hatch and Redpath to see
        what words possibly lie behind katago ("bring down, lead down") to see
        what the translator might have been seeing. But I'll leave this to folks
        with more time.

        On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Jim West wrote:

        > At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
        > >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
        > >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
        > >help is appreciated.
        >
        > 9:3? Cuz there is no "lo" to be seen, either in the text or in the apparatus.
        >

        > >Prof. Ron Minton
        > >rminton@... (417)833-9581
        > >5379 North Farm Road 179
        > >Springfield, MO 65803
        > >

        > ++++++++++++++++++++++
        > Jim West, ThD
        > Quartz Hill School of Theology
        > jwest@...

        Rod Hutton || Disclaimer, Datclaimer!
        Columbus, Ohio || What's all dis about a
        <rhutton@...> || Claimer?
      • Mark Gipe
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1 4:25 PM
          Isaiah 9:2

          As MT

          "hirbitha hagoy lo' " = "you have made the nation populous no"

          The Leningrad Codex B19a ( and I'm sure others ) has a side note to read the
          text as "lo" instead of "lo' " that is lamed vav instead of lamed alef so
          the translation should read something like " You have made the nation
          populous for him" or "for it"

          Mark Gipe

          At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
          >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
          >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
          >help is appreciated.
          >
          >Prof. Ron Minton
          >rminton@... (417)833-9581
          >5379 North Farm Road 179
          >Springfield, MO 65803

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1 5:22 PM
            The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
            cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
            if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.

            Jack

            Mark Gipe wrote:

            > Isaiah 9:2
            >
            > As MT
            >
            > "hirbitha hagoy lo' " = "you have made the nation populous no"
            >
            > The Leningrad Codex B19a ( and I'm sure others ) has a side note to read the
            > text as "lo" instead of "lo' " that is lamed vav instead of lamed alef so
            > the translation should read something like " You have made the nation
            > populous for him" or "for it"
            >
            > Mark Gipe
            >

            > At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
            > >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
            > >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
            > >help is appreciated.
            > >
            > >Prof. Ron Minton
            > >rminton@... (417)833-9581
            > >5379 North Farm Road 179
            > >Springfield, MO 65803

            Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA

            Jack Kilmon
            jkilmon@...

            http://www.historian.net
          • Mark Gipe
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1 5:38 PM
              Have it, thanks anyway Jack,

              Mark

              At 07:22 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
              >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
              >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
              >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.
              >
              >Jack
              >
              >Mark Gipe wrote:
              >>
              >> Isaiah 9:2
              >>
              >> As MT
              >>
              >> "hirbitha hagoy lo' " = "you have made the nation populous no"
              >>
              >> The Leningrad Codex B19a ( and I'm sure others ) has a side note to read the
              >> text as "lo" instead of "lo' " that is lamed vav instead of lamed alef so
              >> the translation should read something like " You have made the nation
              >> populous for him" or "for it"
              >>
              >> Mark Gipe
              >>

              >> At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
              >> >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
              >> >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
              >> >help is appreciated.
              >> >
              >> >Prof. Ron Minton
              >> >rminton@... (417)833-9581
              >> >5379 North Farm Road 179
              >> >Springfield, MO 65803
              >> >

              >--
              >
              >Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA
              >
              >Jack Kilmon
              >jkilmon@...
              >
              >http://www.historian.net

            • Kevin W. Woodruff
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1 8:01 PM
                Ron:

                The evidence:
                "not increased": The Kethiv of the Massoretic text and the Vulgate
                "increased":The Qere of the Massoretic text and the Targums
                The LXX has "Most of the people You have brought down in Your joy

                Hope this helps

                At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
                >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
                >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
                >help is appreciated.
                >
                >Prof. Ron Minton
                >rminton@... (417)833-9581
                >5379 North Farm Road 179
                >Springfield, MO 65803

                Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
                Library Director/Reference Librarian
                Cierpke Memorial Library
                1815 Union Ave.
                Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
                United States of America
                423/493-4252 (office)
                423/698-9447 (home)
                423/493-4497 (FAX)
                Cierpke@... (preferred)
                kwoodruf@... (alternate)
              • Steven Carr
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1 10:31 PM
                  In message <35EC8FCA.70380CC@...>, Jack Kilmon
                  <jkilmon@...> writes
                  >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
                  >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
                  >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.

                  Is this DSS Isaiah Scroll very similar, or reasonably similar, or quite
                  different from the later MT text?
                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 2 10:21 AM
                    Steven Carr wrote:

                    > In message <35EC8FCA.70380CC@...>, Jack Kilmon
                    > <jkilmon@...> writes
                    > >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
                    > >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
                    > >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.
                    >
                    > Is this DSS Isaiah Scroll very similar, or reasonably similar, or quite
                    > different from the later MT text?

                    1QIs(a) and 1QIs(b) were the first scrolls found in the caves by theBedouin
                    shepherd boy in 1947. I saw this scroll for the first time
                    in 1948 in Bill Albright's office at JHU. The B scroll is very similar
                    to the MT with minor variations. The A Scroll is something else
                    again. It uses "Qumranese" and language common to the time it was
                    copied rather than when composed.

                    Jack
                    jkilmon@...
                  • scanlin@compuserve.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 2 2:47 PM
                      The lo [with aleph] we lo [with waw] ketiv-qere variant is a famous
                      Masoretic phenomenon which occurs 17 times in the Hebrew Bible, including
                      Isa 9.2. (See Weil: MM 1795 for the list.) Bruno Ognibeni, in Tradizioni
                      orali di letture e testo ebraico della Bibbia: studio de diciassette ketiv
                      l' / qere lw (Fribourg, 1989) says that in every instance the context may
                      be considered ambiguous. (For convenience, see the short review of
                      Ognibeni in CBQ 53(1991):681-2.) O.'s textual analysis of Isa 9.2 is on
                      pp. 95-99.

                      Harold P. Scanlin
                      United Bible Societies
                      1865 Broadway
                      New York, NY 10023
                      scanlin@...
                    • Roderic L. Mullen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 2 6:12 PM
                        I wonder if this "lo" could be another example of the emphatic particle as
                        suggested for Ex.3:3 by Brevard Childs on p.50 of his Commentary on Exodus.
                        See also Kholer-Baumgartner (English ed.) vol.2, pp510-511. A translation
                        could then read "you have made the nations populous indeed!" A difficulty
                        here would be that "Lo" emphatic seems usually to precede the predicate.
                        --Rod Mullen

                      • Cook@AKAD.SUN.AC.ZA
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 3 10:21 AM
                          From: scanlin@...
                          Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:47:54 -0400
                          Subject: Re: tc-list "not" in Isaiah 9:3
                          To: "INTERNET:tc-list@..." <tc-list@...>

                          The lo [with aleph] we lo [with waw] ketiv-qere variant is a famous
                          Masoretic phenomenon which occurs 17 times in the Hebrew Bible, including
                          Isa 9.2. (See Weil: MM 1795 for the list.) Bruno Ognibeni, in Tradizioni
                          orali di letture e testo ebraico della Bibbia: studio de diciassette ketiv
                          l' / qere lw (Fribourg, 1989) says that in every instance the context may
                          be considered ambiguous. (For convenience, see the short review of
                          Ognibeni in CBQ 53(1991):681-2.) O.'s textual analysis of Isa 9.2 is on
                          pp. 95-99.

                          Harold P. Scanlin
                          United Bible Societies
                          1865 Broadway
                          New York, NY 10023
                          scanlin@...

                          I addressed the orthography of the large Isaiah scroll in the
                          Festschrift for Millik published in Krakow.

                          Prof. Johann Cook
                          Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
                          University of Stellenbosch
                          7600 Stellenbosch
                          SOUTH AFRICA
                          tel 22-21-8083207
                          fax: 22-21-8083480
                        • Ronald L. Minton
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 8 1:09 PM
                            I need the page #s of James F. Mosley "Tyndale's Supper of the Lord"
                            _Notes and Quires_ Nov. 21, 1942. Does anyone have them handy?

                            Prof. Ron Minton
                            rminton@... (417)833-9581
                            5379 North Farm Road 179
                            Springfield, MO 65803
                          • tc-list-owner
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 2, 1998
                              General Information about the List
                              tc-list: a discussion list of biblical textual criticism

                              This list is loosely associated with the new electronic journal _TC:
                              A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism_, and it is intended for a
                              discussion of any matters relating to biblical textual criticism, broadly
                              defined. The rationale for the creation of the TC journal is given below.
                              It is hoped that subscribers to the tc-list will reflect on and respond to
                              material from articles in TC, will deal with issues that arise in the
                              context of text-critical study in the community of biblical scholars at
                              large, and will use the list to suggest new ideas and methodologies.
                              Notes on any aspect of the textual criticism of the Jewish and Christian
                              scriptures (including extracanonical and related literature) are welcome,
                              and threads that transcend the traditional boundary between textual
                              criticism of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and New Testament textual
                              criticism are especially encouraged. We would also like to see threads
                              that discuss the relationship between textual criticism and other
                              disciplines.

                              This list is an unmoderated list, and anyone who is a subscriber to the
                              list may contribute. Conventional netiquette should be followed by all
                              contributors to the list. The following points in particular should be
                              kept in mind. (1) Discussion of topics other than textual criticism (or
                              other topics likely to be of interest to members of the list) should be
                              avoided. (2) Scholarly discussion can at times be somewhat heated, but
                              civility should always prevail. (3) Contributors to the list should
                              always sign their messages with their names (not just e-mail addresses).
                              Additional information, such as institutional affiliation, might also be
                              of interest to others on the list. (4) When responding to a message on
                              the list, quote only that portion of the message that you are responding
                              to, or enough of the message to remind readers of the context of the
                              discussion. In many cases it is not necessary to quote the entire message.

                              Archives of tc-list are automatically maintained, and they may be
                              accessed by sending a message like the following to
                              majordomo@...:

                              get tc-list tc-list.yymm

                              where yy is a 2-digit year and mm is a 2-digit month (e.g., tc-list.9604
                              for April 1996). The first month archived is November 1995 (tc-list.9511).

                              List archives may also be accessed on the Web at
                              http://purl.org/TC/archives/tc-list/tc-list.html.
                              TC messages since 28 Feb 1997 are also archived by Reference.COM at
                              http://www.reference.com

                              address you are sending from.

                              You may also subscribe to this list in digest form (i.e., messages
                              bundled and sent out a few times per week) by sending this message to
                              majordomo@...:

                              subscribe tc-list-digest [your e-mail address]

                              If you subscribe to the digest, be sure to unsubscribe from the list so
                              you won't receive everything twice.

                              To send a message to the list for all to read, send your message to
                              tc-list@.... Don't send to tc-list-digest, even if
                              you're subscribed to the digest. Just send to tc-list.

                              If you do not want to receive messages for a while (e.g., you're going on
                              vacation or will be away from your computer for an extended time), please
                              unsubscribe from the list. There is no "vacation" command on this list.
                              When you want to start receiving messages again, simply subscribe to the
                              list again.

                              TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
                              One of the benefits of increasingly widespread Internet access is the
                              ease with which scholars in a particular field can communicate with one
                              another. Although the sciences have dominated the electronic journal
                              field up until this point, several journals in the humanities are now
                              available online. TC follows in the (brief) tradition of the Journal of
                              Buddhist Ethics, the International Journal of Tantric Studies, and the
                              Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies. As far as we are aware, TC is the
                              first Web journal in the area of biblical studies.

                              Why "biblical" textual criticism (rather than t-c of the NT or the Hebrew
                              Bible/OT)? It is time for textual critics in the two camps to communicate
                              more with one another. Textual critics in one field can only benefit by
                              hearing what those in the other field have to say. The journal will
                              accept papers dealing with any aspect of textual criticism of the
                              OT/Hebrew Bible or NT, and it especially encourages "crossover"
                              papers that deal with both areas. Papers dealing either with specific
                              cruxes or with larger issues (methodology, use of versional evidence,
                              etc.) are welcome. Brief notes or full-length articles are equally
                              acceptable.

                              Why an electronic journal? The fact of the matter is that printing a
                              journal costs a lot of money (especially with recent increases in paper
                              prices). In addition, it is debatable whether the field of textual
                              criticism could generate a large enough base to support a paper journal.
                              There are technical difficulties with displaying non-Latin characters that
                              will have to be addressed, but some of these difficulties have already
                              been overcome. With an electronic journal, scholars and students around
                              the world can have free access to one or another form of the journal,
                              either via the World Wide Web, FTP, or e-mail.

                              TC is now in its second year of operation, and we are looking for
                              articles. Please submit your articles in electronic form to:

                              Jimmy Adair
                              Scholars Press
                              P.O. Box 15399
                              Atlanta, GA 30333-0399
                              USA

                              You are also welcome to send articles via e-mail to
                              jadair@..., or you may upload your articles directly to
                              our FTP site at ftp://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/uploads/TC.

                              TC has a home page on TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web site
                              (http://purl.org/TC), and interested parties
                              can look at this page for announcements. We look forward to your
                              participation in TC and tc-list!

                              The list-owner of tc-list is Jimmy Adair (jadair@...).
                            • tc-list-owner

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 31, 1999
[...]

                                    List archives may also be accessed on the Web at
[...]

                                    ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion
                                    486 Castleaire Dr.
                                    Stone Mountain, GA 30087