tc-list Vaticanus Divisions in Paul

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 1998
      TCers --

      I was just idly considering the chapter divisions in Paul -- or rather,
      the divisions in Vaticanus -- when something occurred to me.

      As most of you probably know, there is a numbering scheme in Vaticanus
      which is continuous, running through Romans, Corinthians, Galatians,
      Hebrews (yes, after Galatians), and on through to 2 Thessalonians.
      Presumably it continued through the Pastorals and Philemon, but
      of course these books are lost.

      Now here is the thought: There are 93 sections in the surviving
      sections of Vaticanus. The surviving portions (if, for these purposes,
      we count all of Hebrews as surviving) constitute just about 90%
      of the length of Paul (based on number of verses, anyway).

      So: Is it possible that the divisions in Vaticanus were designed
      to segment Paul into 100 sections? This seems like the sort of
      thing a non-mathematician would do (a mathematician, of course,
      would never use such a difficult number as 100; it's not divisible
      by 3 or 6 or 8 or 12 or 16 or.... :-)

      Thoughts? Also, has anyone ever suggested this before? Or have
      I finally managed to have an original idea? :-)