Re: tc-list Re: Textual Harmonies between Text Types

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 1998
      On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Troy DeJongh <troyd@...> wrote:

      >Nelson D. Roth writes:
      >>
      >> Recently I viewed a series of debates which dealt with, among other issues,
      >> the degree of textual harmony that exists between the recognized text types.
      >> One participant mentioned that it had been documented, by Dr. Daniel B.
      >> Wallace, of Dallas Theological Seminary, that the textual harmony between the
      >> Western, Byzantine, Alexandrian, etc. types was as high as 98%.
      >> I've read various attempts to provide reasonable estimates of the harmony that
      >> exists. This is my first exposure to a reference of textual harmony so high.
      >> Can anyone provide additonal information regarding this figure.

      [ ... ]

      >At the risk of telling the members of this list something they probably
      >already know, the paper where Wallace makes this statement is located at:
      >
      > http://www.bible.org/docs/soapbox/91b2.htm
      >
      > (Search for the word "percent").

      Well, *I* didn't know it. Thanks for the link.

      This allows us to quote the actual context:

      >There are approximately 300,000 textual variants among New Testament >manuscripts. The Majority Text differs from the Textus Receptus in
      >almost 2,000 places. So the agreement is better than 99 percent. But
      >the Majority Text differs from the modern critical text in only about
      >6,500 places. In other words the two texts agree almost 98 percent of
      >the time.

      The problem here is in Wallace's definition of a variant. He includes
      *everything*. Scribal errors. Singular readings. Apparently even
      orthographic variants. It would even appear that different readings
      at the same point of variation might count.

      But as far as divergences go, he is counting only two: The UBS
      text and the Hodges & Farstad text.

      So this leads to two observations:

      First, Wallace is comparing apples and oranges.
      Second, Wallace is using an absurd definition of a variant.

      Conclusion: This number is meaningless.

      If the original poster wishes to offer his definition of harmony,
      no doubt we can offer some sort of answer as to what degree of
      harmony occurs. But this demonstrates, once again, the danger
      of inadequately defined terms.

      Mumble, mutter, mumble.... :-)

    • Troy DeJongh
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 18, 1998
        Nelson D. Roth writes:

        > Recently I viewed a series of debates which dealt with, among other issues,
        > the degree of textual harmony that exists between the recognized text types.
        > One participant mentioned that it had been documented, by Dr. Daniel B.
        > Wallace, of Dallas Theological Seminary, that the textual harmony between the
        > Western, Byzantine, Alexandrian, etc. types was as high as 98%.
        > I've read various attempts to provide reasonable estimates of the harmony that
        > exists. This is my first exposure to a reference of textual harmony so high.
        > Can anyone provide additonal information regarding this figure.
        >
        > Blessings,
        >
        > Nelson Roth, Dayton, TN, USA

        For the benefit of the other members of this list, the paper where
        Wallace makes this statement is located at:

        http://www.bible.org/docs/soapbox/91b2.htm

        (Search for the word "percent").

        Additionally, a list of 13 of his papers on NT TC is at:

        http://www.bible.org/docs/soapbox/soaptoc.htm

        --
        Troy DeJongh troyd@... http://www1.euler.com/~troyd
      • Troy DeJongh
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 18, 1998
          Please disregard the message below. I was assuming it was in the bit bucket
          when I resent a modified version of the message below several days ago. I
          don't know why "the lost version" just showed up now...