tc-list Quality of fragment photos

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12 4:47 AM
      Hello,

      today I looked through one of C.P. Thiede's books about the dating of
      the Magdalen Mt papyrus. One can have different opinions about his
      dating, but he has the best photos I have ever seen of a papyrus
      fragment.
      I think, with these new(?) photographic tools he used one can make a lot
      more out of some fragments.
      For example the Egerton gospel, if I remember correctly it was published
      in 1935. I would love to see a "Thiede" photo of fragment 2 verso. This
      otherwise unknown parable/miracle is my personal obsession. :-)
      The photos of the recently published new Egerton fragment (Papyrus Koeln
      255) are also not very thrilling.
      Will there ever be any new photos?

      Best wishes
      Wieland
    • Thomas J. Kraus
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 1998

        On Wednesday, 12 Aug 1998 13:47:16 +0200 Wieland Willer wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > today I looked through one of C.P. Thiede's books about the dating of
        > the Magdalen Mt papyrus. One can have different opinions about his
        > dating, but he has the best photos I have ever seen of a papyrus
        > fragment.
        > I think, with these new(?) photographic tools he used one can make a lot
        > more out of some fragments.
        > For example the Egerton gospel, if I remember correctly it was published
        > in 1935. I would love to see a "Thiede" photo of fragment 2 verso. This
        > otherwise unknown parable/miracle is my personal obsession. :-)
        > The photos of the recently published new Egerton fragment (Papyrus Koeln
        > 255) are also not very thrilling.
        > Will there ever be any new photos?
        >
        > Best wishes
        > Wieland

        Dear Wieland,
        sorry on the delay on responding to your inquiry, but I just recently
        arrrived at work again after having been stuck on several airports in the
        world because of an airline strike.
        Unfortunately, I do not agree with you about the quality of the photos
        contained in Thiede´s and D´Ancona´s "popular bestseller" about the
        Magdalen fragments. Despite the requested and among papyrologists and
        palaeographers undisputed method of publishing a papyrus, the tiny Qumran
        fragment 7Q5 as well as the Magdalen fragments are reproduced with a deep
        blue background. But only a white background enables the observer to
        distinguish between holes in a papyrus and ink blots. Dark backgrounds
        then make such an observation impossible. The same pseudo-scientific
        approach is revealed by putting thick red lines over the disputed letters
        in order to establish a sincere reading. From a palaeographical view this
        is nonsense: the red writing laid over the original letter-traces totally
        covers them, and they do not represent any hand of early origin which
        could be compared with the writing on the papyri, but only Thiede´s own
        handwriting. This should definitely not be regarded as a model of how to
        reproduce papyri. See on the edition of a papyrus, for instance: E. G.
        Turner, Greek Papyri. An Introduction (2nd ed.; Oxford 1980) 54-73.
        But what´s of more interest for you, Wieland, are the Egerton frgs. and
        how to get a grip on good quality pictures of them. The best way, I think,
        is to write directly to the British Museum in London and the
        "Papyrussammlung der Uninversität Köln"
        (http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/zpe/links.html)
        or, what you may have already found, you´ll find any picture in the
        literature given under the following
        (http://www.teleport.com/~cabern/andrew/primary/grospels.html)
        I hope that you´ll find what you´re looking for.
        Best wishes,
        Thomas

        Universität Regensburg
        Kath.-theol. Fakultät
        Universitätsstr. 31
        D-93053 Regensburg

        Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
        Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
        thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 1998
          On 9 Sep 98 at 8:56, Thomas J. Kraus wrote:

          > . . . . what you may have
          > already found, you´ll find any picture in the literature given under the
          > following (http://www.teleport.com/~cabern/andrew/primary/grospels.html)

          A quick correction: the URL is:

          http://www.teleport.com/~cabern/andrew/primary/gospels.html

          Mark
          --------------------------------------
          Dept of Theology Tel: +44 (0)121 414 7512
          University of Birmingham Fax: +44 (0)121 414 6866
          Birmingham B15 2TT
          United Kingdom

          World Without Q: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q
        • Wieland Willker
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 1998
            > Unfortunately, I do not agree with you about the quality of the photos
            > contained in Thiede=B4s and D=B4Ancona=B4s "popular bestseller" about the
            > Magdalen fragments. Despite the requested and among papyrologists and
            > palaeographers undisputed method of publishing a papyrus, the tiny Qumran
            > fragment 7Q5 as well as the Magdalen fragments are reproduced with a deep
            > blue background. But only a white background enables the observer to
            > distinguish between holes in a papyrus and ink blots.

            Hallo Thomas,

            you are right on everything.
            What I meant was just the quality of the photography ITSELF not its presentation (and manipulation).
            About requesting photos from the British Museum, I have not much hope...

            Best wishes
            Wieland

            -----
            Original Message: http://www.findmail.com/list/tc-list/?start=4489