RE: tc-list 1 Cor 14.34-35

  • Curt Niccum
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 1998
      Perry,

      Good to hear from you. I wish you all the best on your prelims.

      My argument concerning 1 Cor 14:34-35 addresses only the issue of
      external evidence. In previous work (most notably by Fee) it has been
      argued that: 1) the verses in question are found after v. 33 or after v.
      40 in the ms tradition, 2) the ms tradition is split between "Western"
      and "Eastern" witnesses (sometimes with the corollary that this division
      is of equal antiquity and/or text critical weight), and 3) the most
      likely explanation of this split is an original, now no longer extant ms
      lacking vv. 34-35 (although Payne keeps finding clues to this text in
      very strange places). In my article I accept that 1) is correct. There
      is absolutely no ms, versional, or patristic evidence that 14:34-35 was
      ever lacking in any copy of 1 Corinthians. I further argue with respect
      to 2) that the "Western"/"Eastern" split is too simplistic and that the
      corollary is absolutely false. The vast majority of witnesses, mostly
      "Eastern" but some "Western," have vv. 34-35 in their traditional order.
      Only a few witnesses, mostly "Western" but a few "Eastern," have them
      after v. 40. When one actually examines these later witnesses, however,
      one finds that they all have some direct or indirect connection to
      Northern Italy and all postdate A.D. 350. This suggests, then, that the
      split is not even, is not of equal antiquity, and is certainly not of
      equal weight. In effect what we have is a "local text" preserved among
      some of the "Western" witnesses. The most likely explanation then can
      not be an original lacking those verses. Since the transposition can not
      be accidental either, the verses must have been moved for other reasons.
      It is my guess that the purpose was theological and my tentative
      conjecture that it is related to the blossoming monastic movement among
      Western women in the 4th century.

      I hope this helps. I type it quickly in between typing on my
      dissertation.

      Your work with Talbert sounds very interesting. I look forward to
      learning more about it. Sometime you can fill me in with happened to
      your original plans. If I remember correctly, it was going to be
      Johannine studies with Culpepper.

      Curt

      #1 Cowboy Fan
      Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman

      It is tremendous folly to put trashy people in positions
      of trust and conspicuousness.

      --George Will, 6 August 1998

    • Dr. Michael Patrick O'Connor
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 1998
        Dear Perry L. Stepp

        Here is a totally unsolicited comment. I am in OT and Hebrew and therefore
        should not be commenting on matters relating to the NT, but I would like to
        say that it seems to that the work of my friend, the late Jerome Quinn, on
        the pastorals has been mightily neglected.

        Michael Patrick O'Connor
        Department of Semitics
        Catholic University of America
        Washington, D.C. 20064