tc-list 1 Cor 14.34-35

  • Perry L. Stepp
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 1998
      Curt--

      I hate to presume on you, but I am (at the moment) far from any library that
      could help me.

      I'm preparing for prelims, specifically a critical intro question on any of
      the Pauline epistles. While looking over the interpolation theories germane
      to 1 Cor, I remembered your article in NTS (regarding the interpolation
      theory at 14.34-35). I remember being impressed with your argument.
      Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what it was. Can you briefly (one
      paragraph, I don't want to presume on your time any more than that) sketch
      it for me?

      Hope all is well for you. I'm taking preliminary exams in a month. I've
      been working on dissertation with Charles Talbert since early 1997. I will
      likely be writing on the Pastorals (as a letter collection) functioning as a
      succession document--see the material Talbert and I published (are
      publishing?) in the 1998 SBL Seminar Papers to get an idea of the kind of
      work I've been doing.

      Perry L. Stepp

      Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
      Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
      #1 Cowboy Fan
      Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman

      It is tremendous folly to put trashy people in positions
      of trust and conspicuousness.

      --George Will, 6 August 1998

    • Curt Niccum
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 1998
        Perry,

        Good to hear from you. I wish you all the best on your prelims.

        My argument concerning 1 Cor 14:34-35 addresses only the issue of
        external evidence. In previous work (most notably by Fee) it has been
        argued that: 1) the verses in question are found after v. 33 or after v.
        40 in the ms tradition, 2) the ms tradition is split between "Western"
        and "Eastern" witnesses (sometimes with the corollary that this division
        is of equal antiquity and/or text critical weight), and 3) the most
        likely explanation of this split is an original, now no longer extant ms
        lacking vv. 34-35 (although Payne keeps finding clues to this text in
        very strange places). In my article I accept that 1) is correct. There
        is absolutely no ms, versional, or patristic evidence that 14:34-35 was
        ever lacking in any copy of 1 Corinthians. I further argue with respect
        to 2) that the "Western"/"Eastern" split is too simplistic and that the
        corollary is absolutely false. The vast majority of witnesses, mostly
        "Eastern" but some "Western," have vv. 34-35 in their traditional order.
        Only a few witnesses, mostly "Western" but a few "Eastern," have them
        after v. 40. When one actually examines these later witnesses, however,
        one finds that they all have some direct or indirect connection to
        Northern Italy and all postdate A.D. 350. This suggests, then, that the
        split is not even, is not of equal antiquity, and is certainly not of
        equal weight. In effect what we have is a "local text" preserved among
        some of the "Western" witnesses. The most likely explanation then can
        not be an original lacking those verses. Since the transposition can not
        be accidental either, the verses must have been moved for other reasons.
        It is my guess that the purpose was theological and my tentative
        conjecture that it is related to the blossoming monastic movement among
        Western women in the 4th century.

        I hope this helps. I type it quickly in between typing on my
        dissertation.

        Your work with Talbert sounds very interesting. I look forward to
        learning more about it. Sometime you can fill me in with happened to
        your original plans. If I remember correctly, it was going to be
        Johannine studies with Culpepper.

        #1 Cowboy Fan
        Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman

        It is tremendous folly to put trashy people in positions
        of trust and conspicuousness.

        --George Will, 6 August 1998

      • Dr. Michael Patrick O'Connor
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 1998
          Dear Perry L. Stepp

          Here is a totally unsolicited comment. I am in OT and Hebrew and therefore
          should not be commenting on matters relating to the NT, but I would like to
          say that it seems to that the work of my friend, the late Jerome Quinn, on
          the pastorals has been mightily neglected.

          Michael Patrick O'Connor
          Department of Semitics
          Catholic University of America
          Washington, D.C. 20064