Re: tc-list Hanson's Catalogue of NT Papyri & Codices

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
      At 04:36 PM 8/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
      >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
      >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
      >board memory. America Online is my provider.....
      >
      >I think the site is great......
      >

      >Paul Moore

      I'm with Paul. I use a 266 mhz processor with a 586 chip; and a 56K modem-
      and have no trouble whatever with K.C.'s page. It loads quick- and the
      whole thing is one of the better, and more useful, web pages.

      Jim

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Jim West, ThD
      Adjunct Professor of Bible
      Quartz Hill School of Theology

      jwest@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
        On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, PMoore4733@... wrote:

        >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
        >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
        >board memory. America Online is my provider.....

        What are you looking for, praise or sympathy?

        If the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
        browser cache, *then* see how fast it loads. Your computer has very
        little to do with the loading speed. The controlling factor, in all
        but the most unusual cases (e.g. java), is how fast you can receive the
        data. If you have a fast modem and a good connection, it will load
        quickly. But the whole problem of the Internet is that people frequently
        can't get good connections. I can't, and I'm actually in the same state
        as the site.

        If it works for you, that's fine. The point is, its design philosophy
        *will* make it difficult for some people to use. Especially those
        whose internet connections take a long path to it (typical examples
        are those who are overseas, or those whose suppliers don't have
        enough bandwidth because their local phone company insists on
        using its cables for its own use. I fall into the latter category,
        I believe.)

        >I think the site is great......

        For the most part, so do I; the fact that it takes forever is not
        relevant to that. I merely pointed it out for those who do have
        slow connections. But my basic problem lies with the textual
        classification of the papyri. I don't expect the catalogue compilers to
        read what I've done :-), but they could at least read Zuntz....

      • PMoore4733@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
          waltzmn@... writes:

          << f the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
          browser cache, >>

          Actually, it loaded fast the first time I used it! ?????

          Paul James Moore
          ______________
          ThD New Testament Greek
          Midwestern State University (CE)
          Wichita Falls, Texas
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
            On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, PMoore4733@... wrote:

            >In a message dated 8/5/98 5:33:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
            >waltzmn@... writes:
            >
            ><< f the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
            > browser cache, >>
            >
            >Actually, it loaded fast the first time I used it! ?????

            Well, maybe your standard of "fast" differs from mine. To me, a page
            is fast if it loads in ten seconds or less. (Yes, that means that the
            majority of pages out there are slow. :-) Given that the page as I
            loaded it included a 137K graphic, it *cannot* load in ten seconds,
            unless you have a T1 line or the like.

            Still, if you're satisfied, that's fine. You must have a better
            local phone network than we do here in Minnesota. It took me about
            five minutes to load the page.

            But, again and again, I urge my main point: Don't trust the
            classification of the papyri. As an online catalog, it's
            wonderful; Munster should have done this years ago. But the
            textual determinations are unreliable.

            Bob Waltz
            waltzmn@...

            "The one thing we learn from history --
            is that no one ever learns from history."
          • Dave Washburn
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
              > At 04:36 PM 8/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
              > >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
              > >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
              > >board memory. America Online is my provider.....
              > >
              > >I think the site is great......
              > >

              > >Paul Moore
              >
              > I'm with Paul. I use a 266 mhz processor with a 586 chip; and a 56K modem-
              > and have no trouble whatever with K.C.'s page. It loads quick- and the
              > whole thing is one of the better, and more useful, web pages.
              >

              > Jim

              You fellows must have caught it on a good day. I run a 233 mHz with
              64 meg of RAM and a 56K modem, and it has taken a good two minutes
              every time I've gone to it. I agree, though, that the end result is
              a very useful page.
              Dave Washburn
              http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
              When in doubt, go for chocolate. Life is too short
              not to.