Re: tc-list Hanson's Catalogue of NT Papyri & Codices

  • PMoore4733@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
      I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
      have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
      board memory. America Online is my provider.....

      I think the site is great......

      Paul Moore
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
        At 04:36 PM 8/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
        >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
        >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
        >board memory. America Online is my provider.....
        >
        >I think the site is great......
        >

        >Paul Moore

        I'm with Paul. I use a 266 mhz processor with a 586 chip; and a 56K modem-
        and have no trouble whatever with K.C.'s page. It loads quick- and the
        whole thing is one of the better, and more useful, web pages.

        Jim

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Jim West, ThD
        Adjunct Professor of Bible
        Quartz Hill School of Theology

        jwest@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
          On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, PMoore4733@... wrote:

          >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
          >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
          >board memory. America Online is my provider.....

          What are you looking for, praise or sympathy?

          If the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
          browser cache, *then* see how fast it loads. Your computer has very
          little to do with the loading speed. The controlling factor, in all
          but the most unusual cases (e.g. java), is how fast you can receive the
          data. If you have a fast modem and a good connection, it will load
          quickly. But the whole problem of the Internet is that people frequently
          can't get good connections. I can't, and I'm actually in the same state
          as the site.

          If it works for you, that's fine. The point is, its design philosophy
          *will* make it difficult for some people to use. Especially those
          whose internet connections take a long path to it (typical examples
          are those who are overseas, or those whose suppliers don't have
          enough bandwidth because their local phone company insists on
          using its cables for its own use. I fall into the latter category,
          I believe.)

          >I think the site is great......

          For the most part, so do I; the fact that it takes forever is not
          relevant to that. I merely pointed it out for those who do have
          slow connections. But my basic problem lies with the textual
          classification of the papyri. I don't expect the catalogue compilers to
          read what I've done :-), but they could at least read Zuntz....

        • PMoore4733@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
            waltzmn@... writes:

            << f the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
            browser cache, >>

            Actually, it loaded fast the first time I used it! ?????

            Paul James Moore
            ______________
            ThD New Testament Greek
            Midwestern State University (CE)
            Wichita Falls, Texas
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
              On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, PMoore4733@... wrote:

              >In a message dated 8/5/98 5:33:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
              >waltzmn@... writes:
              >
              ><< f the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
              > browser cache, >>
              >
              >Actually, it loaded fast the first time I used it! ?????

              Well, maybe your standard of "fast" differs from mine. To me, a page
              is fast if it loads in ten seconds or less. (Yes, that means that the
              majority of pages out there are slow. :-) Given that the page as I
              loaded it included a 137K graphic, it *cannot* load in ten seconds,
              unless you have a T1 line or the like.

              Still, if you're satisfied, that's fine. You must have a better
              local phone network than we do here in Minnesota. It took me about
              five minutes to load the page.

              But, again and again, I urge my main point: Don't trust the
              classification of the papyri. As an online catalog, it's
              wonderful; Munster should have done this years ago. But the
              textual determinations are unreliable.

              Bob Waltz
              waltzmn@...

              "The one thing we learn from history --
              is that no one ever learns from history."
            • Dave Washburn
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 1998
                > At 04:36 PM 8/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
                > >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
                > >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
                > >board memory. America Online is my provider.....
                > >
                > >I think the site is great......
                > >

                > >Paul Moore
                >
                > I'm with Paul. I use a 266 mhz processor with a 586 chip; and a 56K modem-
                > and have no trouble whatever with K.C.'s page. It loads quick- and the
                > whole thing is one of the better, and more useful, web pages.
                >

                > Jim

                You fellows must have caught it on a good day. I run a 233 mHz with
                64 meg of RAM and a 56K modem, and it has taken a good two minutes
                every time I've gone to it. I agree, though, that the end result is
                a very useful page.
                Dave Washburn
                http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                When in doubt, go for chocolate. Life is too short
                not to.