Re: Collation against MT vs. TR

  • Bart Ehrman
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 4, 1995
      Mark,

      Certainly if one compares MSS *only* in places of variation from the
      TR, the quantitative analysis will be skewed. This was clearly shown by
      Colwell and repeatedly by Fee and others. THe problem with this approach
      (typical of dissertations done in the 50s, e.g.) is that it fails to
      assess the quantifiable agreements of MSS in places where they do *not*
      differ from TR. I hope, though, that Dan Wallace wasn't suggesting (in
      fact, I'm sure he wasn't, since he knows all the literature on this) that
      merely choosing the TR as the collation base could effect the quantitative
      analysis. In fact, the collation base is completely immaterial, so long
      as one considers both agreements and disagreements of all mss with it in
      readings that are judged to be genetically significant.

      I have a reasonably full history of research on this question that I
      spun off my dissertation in the mid 80's, "Methodological Developments in
      the Analysis and Classificatin of NT Documentary Evidence," _Novum
      Testamentum_ 29 (1987) 22-45.

      Hope this is what you wanted to know.

      -- Bart D. Ehrman

      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997