Re: tc-list Hanson's Catalogue of NT Papyri & Codices

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3 4:26 PM
      On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre@...> wrote:

      >K. C. Hanson has set up a "Catalogue of New Testament Papyri & Codices 2nd -
      >10th Centuries". It looks good and has links to other resources. It can be
      >found at:

      People should be warned, though, that it takes *forever* to load. You
      can tell the site owner is an academic with unlimited connect time. It
      really should have been broken up into smaller units. Also, the "Aleph"
      symbol is wrong (that one is an HTML glitch, and may not occur on
      your particular machine) -- if you see an "is not a subset" symbol,
      that's supposed to be an Aleph.

      The part that bugged me the most, though, was the way the papyri were
      classified. I would regard this as completely untrustworthy (P47
      agrees with A and C more than Aleph?).

      This is not to say that it is not a nice site. It *is* a good
      catalog, and being on the web, it can be kept more current
      than the KListe or the NA editions. I also like the other ancient
      documents it provides access to.

      But take those textual classifications with a grain of salt.
      Or six....

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3 4:33 PM
        K. C. Hanson has set up a "Catalogue of New Testament Papyri & Codices 2nd -
        10th Centuries". It looks good and has links to other resources. It can be
        found at:

        http://www.stolaf.edu/people/kchanson/papyri.html

        Mark Goodacre
        Dept. of Theology Tel: +44 (0)121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham Fax: +44 (0)121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT
        United Kingdom

        World Without Q: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q
      • Dave Washburn
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5 7:22 AM
          > K. C. Hanson has set up a "Catalogue of New Testament Papyri & Codices 2nd -
          > 10th Centuries". It looks good and has links to other resources. It can be
          > found at:
          >
          > http://www.stolaf.edu/people/kchanson/papyri.html

          I have to agree with Bob Waltz: this page is much too large. I
          contacted Prof. Hanson about it, telling him that I took the
          liberty of dividing it up and offering to send the results to him.
          Here is his response:
          --
          Thanks for your note. I am leaving on a business trip, but I will
          try to attend to it late next week. Thanks for the offer to send it to me,

          So hopefully, it will soon be in a form that is more manageable for
          those of us who pay by the hour for our Net connections.
          Dave Washburn
          http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
          When in doubt, go for chocolate. Life is too short
          not to.
        • PMoore4733@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5 1:36 PM
            I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
            have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
            board memory. America Online is my provider.....

            I think the site is great......

            Paul Moore
          • Jim West
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5 2:31 PM
              At 04:36 PM 8/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
              >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
              >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
              >board memory. America Online is my provider.....
              >
              >I think the site is great......
              >

              >Paul Moore

              I'm with Paul. I use a 266 mhz processor with a 586 chip; and a 56K modem-
              and have no trouble whatever with K.C.'s page. It loads quick- and the
              whole thing is one of the better, and more useful, web pages.

              Jim

              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              Jim West, ThD
              Adjunct Professor of Bible
              Quartz Hill School of Theology

              jwest@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5 3:23 PM
                On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, PMoore4733@... wrote:

                >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
                >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
                >board memory. America Online is my provider.....

                What are you looking for, praise or sympathy?

                If the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
                browser cache, *then* see how fast it loads. Your computer has very
                little to do with the loading speed. The controlling factor, in all
                but the most unusual cases (e.g. java), is how fast you can receive the
                data. If you have a fast modem and a good connection, it will load
                quickly. But the whole problem of the Internet is that people frequently
                can't get good connections. I can't, and I'm actually in the same state
                as the site.

                If it works for you, that's fine. The point is, its design philosophy
                *will* make it difficult for some people to use. Especially those
                whose internet connections take a long path to it (typical examples
                are those who are overseas, or those whose suppliers don't have
                enough bandwidth because their local phone company insists on
                using its cables for its own use. I fall into the latter category,
                I believe.)

                >I think the site is great......

                For the most part, so do I; the fact that it takes forever is not
                relevant to that. I merely pointed it out for those who do have
                slow connections. But my basic problem lies with the textual
                classification of the papyri. I don't expect the catalogue compilers to
                read what I've done :-), but they could at least read Zuntz....

              • PMoore4733@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5 7:14 PM
                  waltzmn@... writes:

                  << f the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
                  browser cache, >>

                  Actually, it loaded fast the first time I used it! ?????

                  Paul James Moore
                  ______________
                  ThD New Testament Greek
                  Midwestern State University (CE)
                  Wichita Falls, Texas
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 5 7:49 PM
                    On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, PMoore4733@... wrote:

                    >In a message dated 8/5/98 5:33:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    >waltzmn@... writes:
                    >
                    ><< f the site loads speedily, it's because you have it cached. Purge your
                    > browser cache, >>
                    >
                    >Actually, it loaded fast the first time I used it! ?????

                    Well, maybe your standard of "fast" differs from mine. To me, a page
                    is fast if it loads in ten seconds or less. (Yes, that means that the
                    majority of pages out there are slow. :-) Given that the page as I
                    loaded it included a 137K graphic, it *cannot* load in ten seconds,
                    unless you have a T1 line or the like.

                    Still, if you're satisfied, that's fine. You must have a better
                    local phone network than we do here in Minnesota. It took me about
                    five minutes to load the page.

                    But, again and again, I urge my main point: Don't trust the
                    classification of the papyri. As an online catalog, it's
                    wonderful; Munster should have done this years ago. But the
                    textual determinations are unreliable.

                    Bob Waltz
                    waltzmn@...

                    "The one thing we learn from history --
                    is that no one ever learns from history."
                  • Dave Washburn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 5 10:00 PM
                      > At 04:36 PM 8/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
                      > >I am running windows 98 with a 486 board upgraded to a 586 (at 133 MH). I
                      > >have the pages loaded in a matter of seconds! I have only about 20 meg. on
                      > >board memory. America Online is my provider.....
                      > >
                      > >I think the site is great......
                      > >

                      > >Paul Moore
                      >
                      > I'm with Paul. I use a 266 mhz processor with a 586 chip; and a 56K modem-
                      > and have no trouble whatever with K.C.'s page. It loads quick- and the
                      > whole thing is one of the better, and more useful, web pages.
                      >

                      > Jim

                      You fellows must have caught it on a good day. I run a 233 mHz with
                      64 meg of RAM and a 56K modem, and it has taken a good two minutes
                      every time I've gone to it. I agree, though, that the end result is
                      a very useful page.