tc-list clement of alexandria

  • Roderic L. Mullen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30 7:08 PM
      Here's a query for the list, though somewhat vaguely related to tc. Does
      anyone know of recent bibliography (last 10 years, after the most recent
      English edn of Schneemelcher's NEW TESTAMENT APOCRYPHA) dealing with the
      authenticity of the "Letter of Clement to Theodore" published by Morton
      Smith in CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA AND A SECRET GOSPEL OF MARK.
      I'm primarily interested in the letter itself rather than the "Secret
      Gospel." Merckel, the editor in Schneemelcher, says that no one has seen
      the manuscript of the letter at Mar Saba monastery since Smith published it.
      Is that true? I've seen Mar Saba from the outside but have never been
      inside. Thanks, Rod Mullen
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31 3:51 AM
        On 30 Jul 98 at 22:08, Roderic L. Mullen wrote:

        > Here's a query for the list, though somewhat vaguely related to tc. Does
        > anyone know of recent bibliography (last 10 years, after the most recent
        > English edn of Schneemelcher's NEW TESTAMENT APOCRYPHA) dealing with the
        > authenticity of the "Letter of Clement to Theodore" published by Morton Smith
        > in CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA AND A SECRET GOSPEL OF MARK. I'm primarily
        > interested in the letter itself rather than the "Secret Gospel." Merckel, the
        > editor in Schneemelcher, says that no one has seen the manuscript of the
        > letter at Mar Saba monastery since Smith published it. Is that true? I've
        > seen Mar Saba from the outside but have never been inside.

        One of the most recent pieces that I am aware of is Shawn Eyer, "The Strange
        Case of the Secret Gospel According to Mark", _Alexandria: The Journal for the
        Western Cosmological Traditions_, volume 3 (1995), pp. 103-129, reproduced on
        the web at:

        http://www.globaltown.com/shawn/secmark.html

        It includes a section on "Is the Ink Still Wet? The Question of a Forgery",
        mainly dealing with Quesnell's article.

        There was some discussion of the matter on the Crosstalk list (Historical Jesus
        and Christian Origins) earlier this year. One thing that emerged was that
        Charles Hedrick has been to Jerusalem and has seen the MS recently. The source
        was given as "the Jesus Seminar grapevine".

        Mark Goodacre
        --------------------------------------
        Dept of Theology Tel: +44 (0)121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham Fax: +44 (0)121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT
        United Kingdom

        World Without Q: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q
        (Please note new address)
      • Mr A.J.A. LABOUCHERE
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31 1:40 PM
          As I recall, the statement that only Smith saw the letter is incorrect:
          the librarian and the Abbot (or other appropriate designation) also saw it.
          I will check further on this, and post any other details I come across.
          But the oft-heard statement that "only Smith saw it" seems wrong, even on
          the face of it.

          --Petersen, Penn State University.
        • Yuri Kuchinsky
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 1998
            On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Mr A.J.A. LABOUCHERE wrote:

            > As I recall, the statement that only Smith saw the letter is
            > incorrect: the librarian and the Abbot (or other appropriate
            > designation) also saw it.
            >
            > I will check further on this, and post any other details I come
            > across. But the oft-heard statement that "only Smith saw it" seems
            > wrong, even on the face of it.

            Yes, I agree with this.

            This subject was discussed in some detail not so long ago on Crosstalk-L.

            It is to be regretted that unfounded rumours have been circulating in the
            last few years that tended to question Smith's integrity. Some suggestions
            were even made that he may have had some role in forging SecMk. I would
            like to offer to esteemed scholars my take on why such rumours seem
            entirely groundless.

            This article was posted previously to Crosstalk-L. Apologies for the
            length. I would be grateful for any and all criticisms.

            Best wishes,

            Yuri.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 1998
              >And now let's look at what Smith would have had to do to put it all
              >together. To remind, his discovery was made when he was doing the job of
              >cataloguing odd mss in the rather neglected library of the great Greek
              >Orthodox desert monastery of Mar Saba, near Jerusalem. Presumably, the
              >critics charge, Smith would have planted the book with the text already
              >written into it while he was doing that job. This means that he would have
              >had to have spent years of his life previously to that getting himself
              >totally immersed into Clement and Mk, becoming a "secret world-class
              >expert" in these two highly complex areas.

              More than that, where would he have found the previouslly unknown Sofocle
              works in whose back the Clementine was copied? Wouldn't that have to be
              forged as well?

              <...>
              >And it also needs to be noted here that if Smith managed to "plant" this
              >particular manuscript in any other library other than Mar Saba, the case
              >for authenticiy would have been rather weaker. This is because there's a
              >recorded tradition that a collection of Clement's letters _has been
              >attested_ in Mar Saba during the Middle Ages. So such a discovery in Mar
              >Saba was not totally unpredictable, after all...

              I did not know that! But it seems to me that some thing need to be analysed
              about this:

              a) The letters were beeing copied on the XVIII th century, so it seems
              very likelly they are still around ( the full Mar Saba Collection of
              Clementines that is).

              b) Morton Smith did not find such a collection!

              c) Were they in purpose not presented to Dr. Smith? Does Mar Saba
              Monastery still have them?

              d) Wouldn't it be interesting if a similar hand to the Clementine Letter
              was to be found in other manuscripts on the Monastery ( private letters,
              etc)

              Do not forget that the existence of what became to be known as Codex
              Sinaiticus was denied for years by the monks! that we had to wait for this
              century for findidng many missing fragments of that codex on the same
              monastery it was originally discovered in!

              >Smith devoted many well-documented years of his life on an academic study
              >of the ms he discovered. Some commentators have actually suggested
              >half-jokingly that the amount of effort he put into all this was almost
              >inexplicable. After reading his two books, it indeed seems like Smith was
              >genuinely obsessed with his discovery.

              <...>

              I think you do not call an important point to the discussion table here.

              That point is : the level of akademia and Mr. Smith's own age at the time of
              discovery, seem incompatible with him beeing the forgerer if anyone really
              forged the Letter! If he was the forgerer he could have made a full Secret
              Mark with all bells and whistles, not just an handfull of verses!

              Julio Anjos
            • Wieland Willker
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 1998
                Hello,

                if you would like to read the letter itself:
                You can find the original letter scanned from M. Smith books on my page at:

                http://alf.zfn.uni-bremen.de/~wie/texte/secmark.html

                On top is the first page of the letter with the last page of the printed book: "Epistulae genuinae S. Ignatii Martyris", 1646
                On bottom are all three pages of the letter for your reading pleasure.
                The text inbetween is the German translation.

                My personal view is that our canonical Mark is an edited, shortened version.
                One of M. Smith speculations was that sections mentioning Salome had been removed, because Salome played an important role in some sects.

                Best wishes
                Wieland

                -----
                Original Message: http://www.findmail.com/list/tc-list/?start=4285
                Start a FREE email list at http://www.FindMail.com/
              • Julio Anjos
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 1998
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 7, 1998
                    On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Julio Anjos replied to Yuri:

                    > More than that, where would he have found the previouslly unknown
                    > Sofocle works in whose back the Clementine was copied? Wouldn't that
                    > have to be forged as well?

                    Not quite, Julio.

                    As Wieland Willker already noted, the letter was inscribed into the copy
                    of "Epistulae genuinae S. Ignatii Martyris", 1646.

                    http://alf.zfn.uni-bremen.de/~wie/texte/secmark.html

                    [Yuri:]
                    > >And it also needs to be noted here that if Smith managed to "plant" this
                    > >particular manuscript in any other library other than Mar Saba, the case
                    > >for authenticiy would have been rather weaker. This is because there's a
                    > >recorded tradition that a collection of Clement's letters _has been
                    > >attested_ in Mar Saba during the Middle Ages. So such a discovery in Mar
                    > >Saba was not totally unpredictable, after all...

                    > I did not know that!

                    Smith provides the particulars in his books.

                    > But it seems to me that some thing need to be analysed
                    > about this:
                    >
                    > a) The letters were beeing copied on the XVIII th century,

                    We don't know this. We only know that one letter may have been copied.

                    > so it seems very likelly they are still around ( the full Mar Saba
                    > Collection of Clementines that is).

                    I doubt it.

                    > b) Morton Smith did not find such a collection!

                    No.

                    > c) Were they in purpose not presented to Dr. Smith? Does Mar Saba
                    > Monastery still have them?
                    >
                    > d) Wouldn't it be interesting if a similar hand to the Clementine Letter
                    > was to be found in other manuscripts on the Monastery ( private letters,
                    > etc)

                    We can only wish...

                    > Do not forget that the existence of what became to be known as Codex
                    > Sinaiticus was denied for years by the monks! that we had to wait for
                    > this century for findidng many missing fragments of that codex on the
                    > same monastery it was originally discovered in!

                    > That point is : the level of akademia and Mr. Smith's own age at the
                    > time of discovery, seem incompatible with him beeing the forgerer

                    I agree with you.