Re: tc-list Jude 5 IHSOUS versus KURIOS

  • lakr
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 27, 1998

      > On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, lakr@... (lakr) wrote:
      >
      > >Greetings TC'ers,
      > >
      > >I was aware that there were differences in Jude with regard to verse 5,
      > >but was very suprised to find that in my UBS3 it actually has
      > >IHSOUS, while my NA27 does not. Is this one a close call ?
      > >
      > >Thanks for considering this.
      >
      > Which UBS edition are you using?

      I have a GNT which has the UBS with an English version side by
      side (TEV?) that I picked up at a used book store. It's not with
      me at the moment, so I will try to remember to look and get back
      to you.

      Thanks,
      Larry Kruper
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 27, 1998
        On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, lakr@... (lakr) wrote:

        >> On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, lakr@... (lakr) wrote:
        >>
        >> >Greetings TC'ers,
        >> >
        >> >I was aware that there were differences in Jude with regard to verse 5,
        >> >but was very suprised to find that in my UBS3 it actually has
        >> >IHSOUS, while my NA27 does not. Is this one a close call ?
        >> >
        >> >Thanks for considering this.
        >>
        >> Which UBS edition are you using?
        >
        >I have a GNT which has the UBS with an English version side by
        >side (TEV?) that I picked up at a used book store. It's not with
        >me at the moment, so I will try to remember to look and get back
        >to you.

        It's only a guess, but I'd guess that that edition uses UBS1
        or UBS2 rather than UBS3. There were some significant textual
        changes from the second to the third edition. Unfortunately, I
        don't have a copy of UBS1/2 to check this against.

        Bob Waltz
        waltzmn@...

        "The one thing we learn from history --
        is that no one ever learns from history."
      • lakr
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 29, 1998

          > >> Which UBS edition are you using?
          > >
          > >I have a GNT which has the UBS with an English version side by
          > >side (TEV?) that I picked up at a used book store. It's not with
          > >me at the moment, so I will try to remember to look and get back
          > >to you.
          >
          > It's only a guess, but I'd guess that that edition uses UBS1
          > or UBS2 rather than UBS3. There were some significant textual
          > changes from the second to the third edition. Unfortunately, I
          > don't have a copy of UBS1/2 to check this against.
          >
          > Bob Waltz
          > waltzmn@...
          >
          > "The one thing we learn from history --
          > is that no one ever learns from history."

          My copy is from the ABS in 1966. The UBS is from 1966 and the TEV
          is from 1967. It gives no numeral for the UBS version. Perhaps
          that means it is #1.

          Larry Kruper
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30, 1998
            On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, lakr@... (lakr) wrote:

            >My copy is from the ABS in 1966. The UBS is from 1966 and the TEV
            >is from 1967. It gives no numeral for the UBS version. Perhaps
            >that means it is #1.

            That's the explanation, all right. The copyright dates in my
            UBS3 are 1966, 1968, 1975. So an edition published before 1968
            must be using UBS1. Clearly this is a reading that changed between
            the first and third editions.

            Obviously it was a close call for the committee. :-)

            Bob Waltz
            waltzmn@...

            "The one thing we learn from history --
            is that no one ever learns from history."
          • Carlton Winbery
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 13, 1998
              >We have Kirsopp Lake's photographs of Vaticanus here. What passages do you
              >need and please supply a fax number

              Keven, could you send me the bibliographic info from the title page of
              Vaticanus. I have some money and am thinking of purchasing a published
              facsimile if possible. We have the Bodmer and Beatty Papyri and the
              Sinaiticus in published form. We also have a number of minuscules on
              microfilm. They are good for introducing majors to simple paliographical
              features of TC.

              Thanks,

              Carlton
            • D.R. Edwards
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 13, 1998
                My apologies in advance is this turns out to be a case of a lurker asking a
                laughably simple question. In any event, would anyone know how (assuming
                it's possible) one would get photocopies of any portions of B (G of Mark, in
                particular)? I've seen the occasional image posted on a web site or two,
                but I've been unable to find anything further.

                Thanks in advance.
              • Kevin W. Woodruff
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 13, 1998
                  We have Kirsopp Lake's photographs of Vaticanus here. What passages do you
                  need and please supply a fax number

                  Kevin

                  At 09:43 AM 8/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
                  >My apologies in advance is this turns out to be a case of a lurker asking a
                  >laughably simple question. In any event, would anyone know how (assuming
                  >it's possible) one would get photocopies of any portions of B (G of Mark, in
                  >particular)? I've seen the occasional image posted on a web site or two,
                  >but I've been unable to find anything further.
                  >
                  >Thanks in advance.

                  Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
                  Library Director/Reference Librarian
                  Cierpke Memorial Library
                  1815 Union Ave.
                  Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
                  United States of America
                  423/493-4252 (office)
                  423/698-9447 (home)
                  423/493-4497 (FAX)
                  Cierpke@... (preferred)
                  kwoodruf@... (alternate)
                • Dave Washburn
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 13, 1998
                    > We have Kirsopp Lake's photographs of Vaticanus here. What passages do you
                    > need and please supply a fax number

                    What would you charge to make a copy of the entire thing? Please
                    contact me off-list...
                    Dave Washburn
                    http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                    When in doubt, go for chocolate. Life is too short
                    not to.
                  • Maurice Taraschi
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 13, 1998
                      D.R. Edwards wrote:

                      > My apologies in advance is this turns out to be a case of a lurker asking a
                      > laughably simple question. In any event, would anyone know how (assuming
                      > it's possible) one would get photocopies of any portions of B (G of Mark, in
                      > particular)? I've seen the occasional image posted on a web site or two,
                      > but I've been unable to find anything further.
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance.

                      you might also want to check with Hill Monastic Manuscript Library on the web
                      at:

                      http://www.csbsju.edu/hmml/
                    • Kevin W. Woodruff
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 13, 1998
                        Dr. Winbery:

                        The info we have says:

                        Bibliorum Sacrum Graecus Codex Vaticanus auspice Pio IX. Pontifice Maximo
                        collatis studiis Caroli Vercellone Sodalis Barnabitae et Ioseph Cozza
                        Monachi Basiliani editus. Originally Published in 1868. Reproduced by Brown
                        and Thomas, Detroit Michigan, 1982.