tc-list 1850 KJV

  • Ronald Minton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 20, 1998
      Today I recived a post asking for the difference between the 1769 4th
      edition KJV and the 1850 correction attempt. I know about the 1769, but
      little about the 1850. I do not have any books with me, but I believe
      the 1850 was an American Bible Society effort. It was reviewed
      negatively in the Presbyterian, etc. as I recall, and the ABS did little
      with it. Does anyone have access to the basic background of this 1850
      attempt to correct the KJV?

      --
      Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581
    • Kevin W. Woodruff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 1998
        Ron:

        If I remember righ,, the details of this revision are covered in F.
        Scrivener's book _The Authorized Edition of the the English bile(1611): Its
        Subsequent Reprints and Modern Representatives._ Cambridge: Cambridge
        University Press, 1884.

        At 05:59 PM 7/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
        >Today I recived a post asking for the difference between the 1769 4th
        >edition KJV and the 1850 correction attempt. I know about the 1769, but
        >little about the 1850. I do not have any books with me, but I believe
        >the 1850 was an American Bible Society effort. It was reviewed
        >negatively in the Presbyterian, etc. as I recall, and the ABS did little
        >with it. Does anyone have access to the basic background of this 1850
        >attempt to correct the KJV?
        >
        >--
        >Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581

        Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
        Library Director/Reference Librarian
        Cierpke Memorial Library
        1815 Union Ave.
        Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
        United States of America
        423/493-4252 (office)
        423/698-9447 (home)
        423/493-4497 (FAX)
        Cierpke@... (preferred)
        kwoodruf@... (alternate)
      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 21, 1998
          The on-line version of the exhibition on Oxyrhynchus currently at Oxford
          ("Oxyrhynchus: A City and Its Texts") is now available at:

          http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/VExhibition/vexhframe_hi.htm

          It is a high quality site. There are excellent images of six Matthew papyri
          (nos. 4401-6) and Jude (2684) and lots of other things of interest.

          Mark
          Dr Mark Goodacre M.S.Goodacre@...

          World Without Q: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q
          (Please note new address)
        • Dave Washburn
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 21, 1998
            > The on-line version of the exhibition on Oxyrhynchus currently at Oxford
            > ("Oxyrhynchus: A City and Its Texts") is now available at:
            >
            > http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/VExhibition/vexhframe_hi.htm
            >
            > It is a high quality site. There are excellent images of six Matthew papyri
            > (nos. 4401-6) and Jude (2684) and lots of other things of interest.

            It's an excellent site except for one thing: all the frame
            definitions include the parameter "scrolling=no" so one is not able
            to scroll through the pages or the navigation bar on the left. The
            page programmers would do very well to eliminate that, because if you
            don't have your screen resolution set extremely high, you can't see
            all of the page.
            Dave Washburn
            http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
            When in doubt, go for chocolate. Life is too short
            not to.
          • Mark Goodacre
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 21, 1998
              On 21 Jul 98 at 12:04, Dave Washburn wrote:

              > It's an excellent site except for one thing: all the frame
              > definitions include the parameter "scrolling=no" so one is not able
              > to scroll through the pages or the navigation bar on the left. The
              > page programmers would do very well to eliminate that, because if you
              > don't have your screen resolution set extremely high, you can't see
              > all of the page.

              I found this annoying too and have mentioned it to the chap who set up the
              page. Until it is corrected there is one way of partially dealing with the
              problem -- to go to "decrease font" in Netscape Navigator (under
              "View") or "Fonts" in Internet Explorer (also under "View").