tc-list Re: KJV

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 1998
      Anyone doing serious study of the textual base and translation technique of
      the KJV now has a new edition of _The Translators to the Reader: The
      original preface of the King James Version of 1611 revisited_, edited by
      Erroll Rhodes and Liana Lupas (American Bible Society, 1997). I hesitate
      to promote our own publications, but I believe this is an especially
      valuable resource at a good price, $5.95 (order number 106022). The little
      volume includes a facsimile reprint of the 1611 preface, a transcription
      into modern type with the source of virtually all of the quotations and
      allusions identified, with English translations, and a "modern form" of the
      preface.

      On the ancient versions and textual notes: ". . . variety of translations
      is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures: so
      diversity of signification and sense in the margin, where the text is not
      so clear, must needs do good; yea, is necessary, as we are persuaded."

      On concordant translation: "Reasons inducing us not to stand curiously
      upon an identity of phrasing. . . . For is the kingdom of God become words
      and syllables? Why should we be in bondage to them, if we may be free? use
      one [word] precisely, when we may use another no less fit as commodiously?"

      To be sure, the KJV translators defended the importance of basing their
      translation on the Hebrew and Greek. Their primary purpose for this
      strenuous defense was to argue for the use of the original texts, but this
      did not prevent them from using the versions, several good examples of
      which have already been given in this discussion thread.

      Harold P. Scanlin
      United Bible Societies
      1865 Broadway
      New York, NY 10023