tc-list translators sources

  • Ronald Minton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 1998
      I want to comment on the scholarship of DA Waite, who is a [many would say
      "the"] leading KJV defender today. His misguided book is _Defending the
      KJB_. This is in no way an attack on the man or the KJV. I just want to
      show how those of his thinking are misled and misleading others. Dr. JD
      Price was a help to me in some of this information.

      On page 24, Waite correctly says of the Masoretic Hebrew,
      the King James Version "translators used this text as
      the basis for their Bible rather than the Latin Vulgate...or the
      Septuagint...or an ancient tribal tradition, or any other source which is
      not the Masoretic Hebrew text." Concerning those other sources, Waite
      then immediately says, "None of these other things should ever have a say
      in how the text should read...."

      The truth is, Dr. Waite effectively condemns the KJV because the KJV
      occasionally used all of those other things instead of the Masoretic
      text. They all "have a say in how the text" [KJV] reads. Note the
      following examples which I offer only to show that it is best to always
      know what you are talking about and be honest when you do know.

      Scripture Masoretic Text KJV. (& no mss.)
      Ex. 34:23 the Lord, the Lord God the Lord God/the God
      Isa. 44:8 Rock God
      Hos. 13:9 he destroyed you thou hast destroyed
      thyself

      Scripture Mas. Txt. Tribal Tradition KJV
      Gen. 36:24 water mules mules

      Scripture Mas. Txt. Latin Vulgate KJV
      Gen. 6:5 LORD God God (1769 GOD)
      Isa. 19:10 soul fish fish

      Scripture Mas. Txt. Targum KJV
      1 Sam. 2:25 God Judge Judge(1969 judge)
      Job 22:25 gold defense defense

      Scripture Mas Txt. LXX KJV
      2 Ch. 17:4 God LORD God LORD God

      It is clear that Dr. Waite is not qualified to discuss the Old
      Testament text. Every area of his book is flawed in a similar manner.
      Unfortunately, some good men and women have been misled by teachers who
      should know better.

      Blessings,
      Professor Ron Minton
    • Mike & Jeanne Arcieri
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 1998
        Ronald Minton wrote:

        > I want to comment on the scholarship of DA Waite, who is a [many would say
        > "the"] leading KJV defender today. His misguided book is _Defending the
        > KJB_. This is in no way an attack on the man or the KJV. I just want to
        > show how those of his thinking are misled and misleading others. Dr. JD
        > Price was a help to me in some of this information.

        Ronald,

        Refuting Waite's book would be a Master's thesis in itself. ;-) Waite (and practically all
        other KJV writers) is not searching for textual truth since he made up his mind long ago
        regarding the KJV. The book contains not only textual flaws, but logical fallacies as well as
        hermeneutical errors. The KJV-only agenda is clearly spelled out and the textual evidence must
        be made to conform to it. James Price has excellent material on this (even better than James
        White, in my opinion) and I find that he provides the most solid counter-arguments against this
        view. He especially has done a good job refuting Riplinger's delusions. When reading KJV
        material, I am reminded of a saying of Erasmus who, in responding to a published critique of
        his NT, said it was:

        'so illiterate that I could hardly endure to read it, so comical that I could not fail to'.

        Good ol' Erasmus... ;-)

        Mike A.