Re: tc-list Peterson on Howard's Shem Tob

  • James Trimm
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 1998
      At 10:29 AM 6/30/98 -0700, you wrote:
      >James R. Adair wrote:
      >> Petersen does not argue that Shem Tob is a direct descendant of the Middle
      >> Dutch Gospel harmonies, but rather that ST and the Dutch harmonies share a
      >> recent common _Latin_ ancestor, which also explains ST's close association
      >> with Middle Italian gospel harmonies and an Arabic translation of the
      >> separate gospels _from Spain_ (the provenance of ST). For example, he
      >> says, "Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew is once again sharing a unique reading
      >> with a Western medieval harmonized gospel text (this time, the Middle
      >> Italian Tuscan Harmony) and Thomas.
      >OK..this makes sense, the "descendency" from the Dutch Harmony is
      >more rhetorical that accurate.
      > The issue, which we have been discussing on textcrit, is my position
      >characteristics of the Shem-Tob Matthew cannot be considered to have been
      >characteristics of a putative Hebrew Matthew that pre-dates the Greek
      >canonical version. I cannot speak about the characteristics of Du Tillet
      >and Munster since I have not read exemplars and will hold back my
      >strong impulse to declare that the canonical Gospel of Matthew never
      >had a Hebrew "original." From a form and source critical standpoint, I
      >just cant see it...but I have been surprised before and I even have been
      >wrong before...I think back in 1948 (g).

      I am sorry for my error in my summary of Peterson's arguments.
      If I understand correctly then Peterson is pointing to a Latin text behind
      both Shem-Tob and the Dutch text. Is this an extant Latin text or just a
      theoretical underlying text? Could the Latin text of which Peterson speaks
      of have been affected by an older text which was closely related to
      Shem-Tob? If the core of the Shem-Tob text is as ancient as Howard
      believes, should we be surprised to see readings from Shem-Tob appear in
      later versions? I am not sure that I see how any of this would disprove
      Howard's theory.

      James Trimm
      He who seeks will not cease until he finds,
      and having found he will be amazed,
      and having been amazed he will reign,
      and having reigned he will rest.
      - The Goodnews according to the Hebrews
      The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
      E-mail discusion groups: Nazarene Judaism; Messianic Judaism;
      Yahwism; Lost Tribes; Book of Enoch; Semitic Origin of the
      New Testament; Prophecy & b-Aramaic. Subscribe at:
      Epigraphy Forum (discusion of epigraphy, precolumbian
      transoceanic contact & cultural diffusion) subscribe at: