Paragraph marks in Codex Vaticanus

  • SEM_MED@centum.utulsa.edu
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 4, 1995
      I am a newcomer to textual criticism, having been led here by my
      research on the sound of Greek in the Hellenistic period. My
      dissertation analyzes the aural features of a text, the sounds
      an audience would have heard in a public recitation, to determine
      a text's organizational structure and clues to its meaning. My
      work on the Sermon on the Mount observes that it is aurally organized
      into eight sections of varying lengths, each of which contains
      repeated aural patterns and syntactic structures. I was surprised
      to find that the paragraph marks in Vaticanus divide the text into
      units that cohere with the text's aural organization. Further,
      I noticed that aural data can often adjudicate among the various
      textual witnesses and shed light on otherwise intractable text
      critical problems.

      I am wondering whether any subscribers to tc-list might have thoughts
      or resources to suggest concerning the Vaticanus paragraph marks so I
      might pursue the possibility of their consistency with the text's
      aural organization.

      Thank you for your attention.

      Margaret E. Dean
      Graduate Student